Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What do people expect governments to do about inflation? Price caps, controls, rent freezes? I guarantee the minute they introduced these, morons would be up in arms about Australia becoming a communist country.
The inflation we're seeing is a direct result of measures taken during covid.
And the RBA jacking up rates seems to be doing stuff all to stop real inflation. Rents primarily go up because of supply and demand, interest rates just add to it. Same with basically everything else we need to spend our money on, if we need it, it keeps going up because we can't really do without it. We're always going to need fossil fuel, so the price will continue to escalate with no gov able to control it. Fossil fuel is a basic necessity in the the modern world and in my lifetime I don't see them coming up with some magic fuel that will reduce the cost of transport. The population is not going backwards so we are going to increase our need on diesel which has a flow on effect for most things we need to live.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
That's why it always pays to keep receipts for everything.
That's why you MUST keep receipts for everything you are claiming, with the exception, I believe, of up to $300 in expenses that can be claimed without the need for any receipts.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I think they changed from meeting 11 times per year to 8 times per year.

The interest rates are a pretty blunt instrument to control inflation. The rate hikes largely hit those with a large home loan - so they cut back on their spending. But for others without loans, it makes relatively little difference.

I think the theory is that if demand drops, then prices will drop, and inflation will drop too. I find it all a bit of hocus pocus as economics isn’t proper science.

Using interest rates to control inflation is a outdated system from the 20th century.

More than half of people with mortgages will be on fixed rates so there is a huge lag between rising rates and flow on effect to home owners until their fixed terms end and it ends up putting more money in the pockets of bankers.

A much better system is to force all onto a superannuation/retirement scheme and then increase/decrease the minimum contributions to control inflation. It would work much better as it effects all workers, it would be instant and at the end of the day the worker still has that money, just not in their pocket to spend at the current time.

This idea was raised by a former Labour finance minister but he was laughed at at that time but I think it's a great idea.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
That's why you MUST keep receipts for everything you are claiming, with the exception, I believe, of up to $300 in expenses that can be claimed without the need for any receipts.
That's true about the under $300 items but I kept them as well. Better to be safe than sorry in case they change the rules.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Government just announced a 30% pay rise for carers. Have no problem with this, but the cost will almost certainly be passed on. I pay a subsidised rate of $10 for a 1 hour visit (mainly to help mum shower), but have no doubt whatsoever this will be increased to $15 over coming weeks. Can't have those profit margins deteriorating. What I dread most is the whinging from dad

With those millions you're making playing the stock exchange, I'm sure you could spare the $5 to help out....Will help dear old Mum and stop Dad complaining

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
This is what I found on the web.

What is in the CPI market basket?

BLS has classified all expenditure items into more than 200 categories, arranged into eight major groups (food and beverages, housing, apparel, transportation, medical care, recreation, education and communication, and other goods and services).31 Aug 2023

Now rents are going by 10-15% per year, petrol and diesel never go down over the long-term, food and drink don't go down (well I can't see how they can unless costs are lowered?, which seems unlikely to me. Clothes might come down, but as bloke clothes are a pretty low spend and cost maybe $150 - $200 a year. I only buy a pair of shoes once every three - four years. I wear my undies until they no longer stop my pecker getting caught in my zip, or if I start leaving stains on my trousers.

I don't get it, I think they are trying to bullshit a bullshitter with the measurements they use.

My last lease renewal in August last year the rent went up 30%. Car insurance went up 28% in December last year.
Power went up 30% last year.
I expect my next lease renewal to go up at least 25%.
I consider myself lucky that I just have one child and a decent job, I really don't know how people with several kids to feed and rent on a big house are doing it.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you are in NZ, more kids is better, the welfare system is set up to suit large families. Working for families is basically a subsidy for having many kids, you really need 3 as a minimum. Having just 2 kids you're screwed by our government!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
That's true about the under $300 items but I kept them as well. Better to be safe than sorry in case they change the rules.
I have only ever known in all my years, one person who had a tax investigation, and he was a builder who had a heart attack and his wife left him same year, and he just went to pieces, did no work for quite a while.
And with GST today Govco are raking in so much that they don't seem to really care about joe in the street.
Besides, their system has certain amounts for each and every business/employee etc so unless you go above those amounts, it is unlikely you will be even questioned let alone investigated, not to mention they don't have the staff to chase up small amounts.
Accountants are a huge problem because they make mistakes and you wear it if you don't pick it up.