Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

_Mukas_

DJ Titan...Hardstyle guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Statesman
Question. Are xenon headlamps illegal, regardless of wattage or are there different levels for different cars? also if i do have the xenon blue headlights and they are illegal is it a fine, canary or what? i have my standards in the glovebox so if i get pulled over would i get let off if i change the globes there and then?

edit: can answer be pm'd to me also? thanks

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I have xenon headlamps and I am pretty sure they are fine as long as the colour is closer to white than it is to blue. Mine look white and not blue so I guess mine are ok?

_Mukas_

DJ Titan...Hardstyle guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L Statesman
mine look almost green up close, so many ppl comment on them, theyre 90watt....is this illegal?

squire_j

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Turismo Blue 2005 VZ Storm Panelvan
crazyspoon05 said:
One of the regular patrons at the venue I work at is curious as to the official line on someone sleeping in their car in a car park whilst intoxicated as he usually sleeps in his car for a few hours before driving home, I've heard it's not strictly illegal but you can get charged for 'intent to drive whilst intoxicated' if you have the keys visible

Any of the serving members able to shed some light on this ?

I'm in QLD and I sleep in the back of the pano about once or twice a month after a few or more drinks. It is my understanding that if your parked on the road and sleeping in the back whilst pissed with the keys in the car, then yea, you can be done for it. Even if your not pissed and your sleeping in the car whilst parked on the street or a public carpark then that is also illegal. But yeah, not as bad. (still wouldn't be fun getting woken up by a coppa tapping on the window at 3am)

My solution; get to the party or whatever, a little early and tee it up so you can park on the driveway or on the front lawn (within property boundaries) or round the back or something. Or even get a sober person to move your car for you before you go sleeping in it. :D

What I dont know; is sleeping in the tray of a ute, whilst drunk, with your keys in your pocket illegal?
and for that matter, sleeping in the back of a new skool panelvan? (where you can't climb through to the front)

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
squire_j said:
I'm in QLD and I sleep in the back of the pano about once or twice a month after a few or more drinks. It is my understanding that if your parked on the road and sleeping in the back whilst pissed with the keys in the car, then yea, you can be done for it. Even if your not pissed and your sleeping in the car whilst parked on the street or a public carpark then that is also illegal. But yeah, not as bad. (still wouldn't be fun getting woken up by a coppa tapping on the window at 3am)

My solution; get to the party or whatever, a little early and tee it up so you can park on the driveway or on the front lawn (within property boundaries) or round the back or something. Or even get a sober person to move your car for you before you go sleeping in it. :D

What I dont know; is sleeping in the tray of a ute, whilst drunk, with your keys in your pocket illegal?
and for that matter, sleeping in the back of a new skool panelvan? (where you can't climb through to the front)

Mate its a ahrd one to answer concisely. There are a whole lot of issues with this, mostly to do with proving driver... The offence is typically attempt drive with low/mid/high range PCA (Perscribed Concentration of Alcohol). For an attempt to be proven all the proofs of the offence must be clear with the exception of the final proof, in this case the actual driving. So all other things must first be in place.

I once came accross a guy who was fast asleep in his car, seated in the drivers seat with the seat reclined, keys in the ignition, engine running, lights on, car out of gear. Woke him up, he was technically considered driving even though he wasn't moving (or awake for that matter) but we still went with the attempt, and got up in court. He had been to a brothel and had driven about 20 meters around the corner and just pulled up. He made admissions to driving but as far as we were concerned it was an attempt as we didn't witness him actually in control of the vehicle. You can;'t soely rely on someones admissions cis they can change their story at court, and when they are pissed they can use that as an excuse for why they said what they said.

In general if you were in the back of a ute ot panelvan (the type you mentioned) then you would not be able to actually drive the car, so its not an attempt. That is just an attempt sleep in back of ute tray whilst pissed, (no offence last time I checked)... Having the engine running just causes you all sorts of problems though, so I'd suggest if you were going to sleep in your car, pissed, don;t even think about putting your keys anywhere near the ignition...

Cheers

helly

FUZZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SSV Ute Poison Ivy...
shaggerz said:
I have xenon headlamps and I am pretty sure they are fine as long as the colour is closer to white than it is to blue. Mine look white and not blue so I guess mine are ok?

Yeah completely legal, unfortunately... I hate driving towards them, but hey its better than the high-beams! Most European cars these days suchs your Audi's and BMW's have blue tinted rear vision mirrors just for this reason, so that the blue is taken out of your vision.

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
helly said:
Mate its a ahrd one to answer concisely. There are a whole lot of issues with this, mostly to do with proving driver... The offence is typically attempt drive with low/mid/high range PCA (Perscribed Concentration of Alcohol). For an attempt to be proven all the proofs of the offence must be clear with the exception of the final proof, in this case the actual driving. So all other things must first be in place.

I once came accross a guy who was fast asleep in his car, seated in the drivers seat with the seat reclined, keys in the ignition, engine running, lights on, car out of gear. Woke him up, he was technically considered driving even though he wasn't moving (or awake for that matter) but we still went with the attempt, and got up in court. He had been to a brothel and had driven about 20 meters around the corner and just pulled up. He made admissions to driving but as far as we were concerned it was an attempt as we didn't witness him actually in control of the vehicle. You can;'t soely rely on someones admissions cis they can change their story at court, and when they are pissed they can use that as an excuse for why they said what they said.

In general if you were in the back of a ute ot panelvan (the type you mentioned) then you would not be able to actually drive the car, so its not an attempt. That is just an attempt sleep in back of ute tray whilst pissed, (no offence last time I checked)... Having the engine running just causes you all sorts of problems though, so I'd suggest if you were going to sleep in your car, pissed, don;t even think about putting your keys anywhere near the ignition...

Cheers

Thanks for the reply Helly, makes things a lot clearer on the issue... :thumbsup:

pacey

I'm Back
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 2000 Commodre Exec.
Troy711 said:
where do cops fill up with fuel? ive never seen one at a servo ever...

Find the consistently cheapest Servo and thats where we fill up our cars. Lucky for our HWP blokes, there is a bowser located at the police station where they can also fill up their cars.

Before our sedans were converted to gas and the rodeo converted to diesel, we also used to fill up at the station bowser. This still applies to some locations and most probably applies to yours.

Cheers