Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ask The Copper

Discussion in 'General' started by fabz, Dec 23, 2005.

1. fabz

fabz I Can Do Science Me

Members Ride:
    Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
    Yeah i have for you Sir Mr Nice Police Man ...........
    Is it illegal to drink a can of drink while driving even if its not booze? i once got pulled up for drinkin a can ok cake and the copper told me it was illegal as it "obstrucked my view" true yes but he said i could get done drink driving?? Also whats the law on neon lights?? inside yes and out side no or vice versa??? Cheers think this will be a great thread!!

2. A good thread...is now a Sticky......

3. Wombat

Wombat New Member

Members Ride:
    VX-II Lumina Sedan
    Something I've always wanted to know...
    Now, let me start by saying I've ridden Harleys, I like Harleys, but would never actually own one myself...way too expensive and overpriced, even second hand...but it's got two wheels and a motor, so it must be interesting... :w00t: :D

Here goes: Why is it illegal for cars, trucks, buses, forklifts, tractors, or just about anything else, to exceed decibel limits and modify exhaust systems to allow excess noise...it is even worse to remove completely an exhaust system.
    However, why can almost eveyr Harley around ride around with impunity with absolutley NO exhaust system, simply straight pipes with no mufflers at all?
    If I did that with my VS Berlina, my Rodeo ute, my BMW motorbike, I wouldn't get twenty meters, but if it was a Harley? Hey, go for it. Why why why? A hundred thousand guys riding other makes of bike than Harley Davidsons want to know!!!

Neons? They aren't illegal to fit to your car up here in Queensland, but they are illegal to use while driving. They come under the cover-all heading of distracting other drivers. I know of a guy some years back with a very nice HX ute with a polished wood tray, big mags, metal flake paint, and a pair of chrome exhaust stacks, one each side of the rear of the cab, like smaller versions of the chrome stacks with perforated covers you see on semi's. Looked fantastic, until he was ordered off the road because they posed a "distraction". :bang:

But please answer about the Harley pipes....the noise laws are pretty much the same everywhere, as are the Australian Design Rules regarding noise levels...

Though why you'd want to make a perfectly good bike sound like a fifty year old Massey Fergusen with a rusted out exhaust is beyond me.... :thumbsup: :D

4. gopher

gopher Active Member

Members Ride:
    Car

because they're the favoured mode of transport for bikie gangs & most of them are fearsome looking mother****ers
    so better not to mess with them:shutup:

5. newo

newo New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    Yeah, was thinking that! They belong to Hell's Angels or something hey? :p From what my driving instructor told me two years ago, in Vic, that any lights, other than driving lights factory fitted (or some driving lights fitted otherwise) were the only legal thing allowed. Neons, as stated are illegal when turned on, but can be fitted so long as they are off while moving. I guess maybe now though police may see it as a waste of time fining people because many a people have them?

6. Misaprop

Misaprop black betty

Members Ride:
    VE SSV
    My question: I am a green P plater in NSW, my speed limit is 100 on NSW roads, but in Vic P platers are allowed to drive up to the speed limit... Does this mean that when I enter Victoria, I can drive at 110 on the freeway?

7. camvyss

camvyss Doof, Doof, Doof

Members Ride:
    VY2 SS 5.7L A4
    Hey Spyper I'm going to hesitate a guess that you reside in NSW, seeing as I live in QLD I can't assure you this information is true for your state.

I'm not aware of any legal issues arising from owning a SS while on P plates, however I believe there was talk of introducing a clause regarding young drivers owning/driving high powered cars, but I don't beleive this is in yet.

Your main problem will possibly arise from Insurance premiums being rather high.

Again this information is probably not correct seeing as NSW has many laws that differ immensely from all other states.

8. minux

minux Infidel Bear

Members Ride:
    300rwkw FG G6ET/Specialized Tarmac SL4
    If you are in victoria, the SS is above power to weight ratio. Also, insurance in itself is a nightmare for drivers under 25 :(

9. fourstar82

fourstar82 Head Chef Honcho

Members Ride:
    VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
    yeah but hes also on a NSW lisence meaning he can still drive that vehicle perfectly legally, as long as he got his P's before the new laws concerning Probationary Licencing (ie what they can and can't drive, they're a load of crap as far as I'm concerned) came into effect in NSW earlier this year.

10. L8N

L8N New Member

Members Ride:
    VS COMMODORE
    Serving Police Member, is it true that if you are pulled over by a cop and you havnt done anything wrong that they cant ask to see your licence? they can ask if you have it on you but they cant actually ask to see it.

11. 9C1pack

9C1pack Member

What cars are the prefered mount of the the Vic police officers?
    Out of say the Commodore, Falcon in the patrol cars, and the SS, WRX V8 Falcon etc in the Highway cars and why? EG: comfort for long hours of duty or performance etc?
    Do you all rush to get a favourite car or get told what car you are rostered with? :unsure:

12. tezron

tezron New Member

Members Ride:
    vp executive wagon
    mate of mine in local TMU prefers the SS way above others. Doesnt like Falcons and not at all impressed with WRX.

13. Spyper

Spyper New Member

Members Ride:
    VX II Acclaim
    I am in Victoria and thanks that answers my question.. but what about say the sv6.. would that be over the p:w also? Is the power measured in KW etc?

14. newo

newo New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Berlina
    My sis, who is a big Ford fan and goes to all the V8's and should work for friggin Ford, said that the police prefer the Holdens due to the fact that they have a better electrical system to run all thier peripherals. She reckons when they had the Fords they were often waiting for a jump cause the battery would drain. Anyone feel free to correct this! :)

15. fourstar82

fourstar82 Head Chef Honcho

Members Ride:
    VYII 25th Anniversary, 2007 VE Calais
    If they were having this problem, you think they may have installed a second battery to make sure this didn't happen (ie like people having a second battery to run a sound system, and similar setup with the battery on the boot all wired up etc...).

16. Bax

Bax Projecting

Members Ride:
    Nothing
    Can we get back on topic please?

I'd personally be checking the main roads legislations for your state. Most answers are able to be found in there and would be the most accurate up to date facts. If the answers aren't in there then I'd definately ask this guy. But I wouldn't be asking him whether the police prefer leather or velour seats.

One thing is for certain, noone is really safe depending on the cop that you get on the day, if he wants you, I'm sure he can be a big enough prick to find a problem with your car, and there are those type around. On the other hand theres the occassional nice cop that helps you out or lets you off with a warning.

So maybe we can keep it on track.

1 person likes this.
  17. StatOmaN

StatOmaN Custom Title

Members Ride:
    Vr Statesman
    just out driving last night saw a sh*t load of trucks on the highway, if it is illegal to have lights fitted to the out sideof your car while driving, y are they lit up like christmas trees?

18. Bax

Bax Projecting

Members Ride:
    Nothing
    Why are the trucks lit up like christmas trees.. Purely for visibility I'd imagine. So you can see where they start and finish.

As for the lights, I'm fairly sure you can have as many forward facing as you want so long as they are white. I think most trucks are amber now that I think of it. And the rear facing lights have to be red.

19. 9C1pack

9C1pack Member

Yes, "lit up like Xmas trees", so you can see where they start and finish.
    I came upon a train crossing once, on a back country road, when a very long slow moving freight train was crossing the road, if I had not seen the engines light first, it was difficult to see the grimy wagons in the dark misty rain. It only had a light on the engine and the last wagon. Perhaps they could fit them with neons :yeah:

20. matt69

matt69 Guest

u probly cant help me but in wa the fines for offences particulary the monetary values seems to differ depending on personal preference of the issuing officer. like i was fined 600 for driving an unregistered vehicle. and a mate of mine same deal only 400. wats going on?