Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Seal or rebuild sub box?

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
I have just finished building my sub box. However the d|ckhead of a teacher can't cut straight and as a result my box is not square. After cutting a new face for the box, this is what I have come up with. There is about a 3mm gap alonhg the front of it. Should I seal it up and leave it as is, or should I rip the whole thing apart, cut all the wood square (the box is big enough for my sub anyway) and fully rebuild it?

Attachments

• Picture-001.jpg
    Picture-001.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 243

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
i'd seal it if your going to carpet it, or fix it if your going to paint it.

Reaction score
Website
www.caraudiofactoryoutlet.com.au
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
I have just finished building my sub box. However the d|ckhead of a teacher can't cut straight and as a result my box is not square. After cutting a new face for the box, this is what I have come up with. There is about a 3mm gap alonhg the front of it. Should I seal it up and leave it as is, or should I rip the whole thing apart, cut all the wood square (the box is big enough for my sub anyway) and fully rebuild it?

Personally I would start again, as it is not pretty.

Though Have you checke that the box is square? which will cause the same issue if it is out of square

HOW TO --- Check for Square

Measure the diagonal from top left corner to bottom right corner - as 350mm

Then Measure Top right to bottom left, to the same position (outer corners) if it is 350mm then your face board is out of square and needs to be replaced.

If it is higher or lower mm say 360mm or 340mm then your box is out of square on the top plan, by 10mm.

To fix you need to Half the measurement - in this case 10mm/2 = 5mm which is the measurement that you need to push on the corner of the shorter measurement to adjust, by 5 mm.

Then Remeasure and adjust if nessecary.

You will then need to cut blocks for the bottom board and top board and glue and screw into place to keep it square unless you wrap and epoxy it.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Cheers guys, I'll might as well start again. Does anyone have any tips on rebuilding it so it matches up alright nice and square? Mind you that was just a quick rush job, as I needed it to finish before the year. The sub is a Kenwood KFC-W300S, just a cheapie sub to get me started. Tried it out in a mates car, and it goes alright.

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Your port looks quite narrow... whats the volume of the box and what are you tuning to? Have you modelled the specs for potential vent noise?

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Thanks Joey... missed that was horrified with the pic.... though everyone has to start somewhere.... Good to see that he is giving it a go!!!

I would have vented to the side/rear... but with the KENWOOD sub I would not even worry about a Vent at all as long as the volume is spoton.

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
gap filler

SIR.... all bow for SIR!!!! LOL

I was told you were the "BOG KING" :yeah:

APPLY liberally!!!!:w00t:

and then sand like HELL!!!!!!:wax: :whistling

Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VK BROCK Group "A"
Matty

Personally for the MONEY, TIME and EFFORT I would go a Off the shelf enclosure that is ported as they are dirt cheap and good little units that is the volume that you need or a little larger as you can expand a foam it in side to adjust the volume that you need

for the KFC-W300S on a sealed box you will need .92 - 1.0 cuft and 1.3-1.5 cuft for ported

I personally think that you are better off with a non ported unit.

We have these in that size, carpeted, with the gold inputs, wired and sound dampened.

for $99.00 including delivery to NSW, VIC, QLD - 1cuft

Joe Peeps

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
I get the vibe it was for school project (teacher cut it, had to be done by the end of the year) I searched the TS specs for that sub based on the results i second CAFO's suggestion that a sealed box is definately the way to go. If you decide you want to start again, consider this option. With a ported box you'll get a peaky, and laggy bass response.