Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5 Ltr or 5.7Ltr?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Gday Buddy Get The 5 L My Mate at Mantello Holden Said That The Gen iii Aint that Good after 80 thousand Ks Dunno Why i have the 5L Vt There Heaps Cheaper when it comes to parts !! Good Luck

alot of members on here would say otherwise, running boost aswell. That holden dealer wouldn't have happened to have a VT 5L on the lot would he? noooo, of course not, a dealer wouldn't bag out a car to make a sale on a car....never

*do i really need this warning? note sarcasm?*

Sure its noted its easy to get power from a GenIII, but the initial cost, you could have the 5L running that power with a stroker kit, and knowing you still had the better sounding motor, would make me sleep easy at night

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
I'm with the others, while the 5.7 is a more powerful motor stock, but you just can't beat the sound of a 5.0 litre. And like Stealthy said, supercharge it, and you've got yourself a good powered motor, with the wicked sound.

evil_monkey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
gen III in the vt's are problematic compared to the vx's and they sound crap :p

5.0L sound awesome but very sluggish stock unless you put a blower on it.

so yeah if you want a gen III go vx if you want a vt go 5.0L with a blowwer

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
Go for the LS1. Better on fuel, more power stock and you can get more power for less.

For those that are recommending the blower set up, wouldnt the cost of the blower + tuning + accessories + labour, cost a lot more compared buying an LS1? I was under the impression that it would be roughly $10g.

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Go for the LS1. Better on fuel, more power stock and you can get more power for less.

For those that are recommending the blower set up, wouldnt the cost of the blower + tuning + accessories + labour, cost a lot more compared buying an LS1? I was under the impression that it would be roughly $10g.
gees just when the 5L was getting some good wrap you come along and blow it all away:p

personally i wished i'd gone the G3 just need that extra 2k:bang:

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
gees just when the 5L was getting some good wrap you come along and blow it all away:p

personally i wished i'd gone the G3 just need that extra 2k:bang:

hahahaha not at all!

To be honest I miss having my manual 5L, partly because it was a HSV Senator. I might buy one down the track as a weekend car.

Ripcell

R8 FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
324rwkw MY06 VZ R8 Maloo M6
gen 3 all the way, 5ltr is too old, have to work to get the same power out of it. the ONLY thing about a 5ltr that is good is they sound nicer than the gen3.

but GEN 3 all the way

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
I'd go the LS1, for the cost difference in cars of around 2-3k, you could spend another 6k on cam/tune/zorst and be running better times then a blown 5.0

Or just spend $1000 on a mafless another $1250 on pacies and cheap catback and be looking at high 12's.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Can i just add this, its your money that is going on this car, best thing to do is go with what you are happy with.