Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Please help me, i'm now at my wits end with this VL now!!

Mamma_Sarah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Wagon (1986)
I have only had the car for only 5 months and it was running fine and then one day i turned it off from using it for the day and came out the next morning to use it and it wouldn't start. The engine is turn but it seems there is no spark at all i went to my nearest sprints and asked there help and bought a coil, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor button and then put the parts in and noticed while doing this the end spark plug had oil on it and inside the lead :/ and after replacing all of these parts it's still not starting and just sitting there. i have also noticed the fuse box under the hood is also melted but fuse's are ok. Has anyone else had this problem and/or could have any idea what is going on and what i need to do, i reckon i was sold a lemon and ripped off, i'm a single mum of 3 boys and badly need this VL running for school runs and shopping. Hope someone can help...

Last edited by a moderator:

social

Ute Finatic
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Thunder
Sounds like worn piston rings / cylinder walls, when they get extremely worn over time because of general use or bad servicing, oil can seep past and make its way into
The combustion section and onto the spark plugs. The fact that it's in ur lead makes me think the plug wasn't in tight enough as you can't exactly push oil thru the middle of a spark plug into the lead

pricey3682

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 VL Calais
See if your getting fuel pressure. Could be crank angle sensor
Could be a faulty fuel pump, fuel pressure reg, coolant temp sensor.

I wouldn't be jumping straight away at the motor being stuffed.

Mamma_Sarah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore Wagon (1986)
i know fuel is getting though coz when i turn it over you can smell the fuel and fuel pump is a good one. But i might think about the crank angle sensor...

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
It will be the crank angle sensor. It's common on the rb30. It's inside the dizzy. Refur to my thread below in my sig to change one. As u said u got a dizzy cap but not a cas

87RB30VL

Swiggidy Swag
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
It will be the crank angle sensor. It's common on the rb30. It's inside the dizzy. Refur to my thread below in my sig to change one. As u said u got a dizzy cap but not a cas

I second that. I was on the way home from work one arvo an my car just died on me, took ages to get it started, and then the next day on the way to work it did it again, so I got a CAS off eBay which came with the bearing too, and threw that in and wham bam thank you ma'am it was sorted. Even if it doesn't fix it, it's good to change the CAS anyway since they're one of the many parts which are rooted on pretty much any VL.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
The wires that go to the crank angle sensor can break where they go into the back of the plug, so check that too. I would say its a crank angle sensor problem.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
OP hasn't been back since she first posted. Single Mum, Hackham West, say no more.

(Those playing at home will understand.....)