Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air bag cover

kiwicon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 Manual
My mates still cant smell thanks to an air bag breaking his nose a few years ago..

my bad ..

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
So finally made some progress on repairing the spare dash I have. Its come out reasonably well with some slight raised edges but we are talking millimetres. Note I don't know how you would fix this properly in the car to be honest, it really is a dash out job.

So I picked up this 15I senator dash with buckled cover. My senator has a 25I interior that at some point someone has put a 15I dash in it. I've seen a few 25I dashes around and with buckled covers and when I got this dash cheap, I bought it as more of an exercise in can it be fixed. I may still see if I can recolour it

How I got it:

As you can see its a solid metal plate below secured by three bolts at the back. At the front are two plastic tabs which obviously break on deployment of the airbag. The cover is then glued to this piece of metal. Hence dispelling the myth that it is evil to re glue your cover as all your loved ones will die horribly in a car accident.

Part of the reason the covers lose adhesion is the metal cover and brackets are covered in surface rust, ive seen this in most cars ive had a close look at

Started to hit the cover with a wire wheel and then when finished rust converter and some rust guard

Back of the dash pad, it was badly warped when pulled off so I sat it under a heavy tool box for a few days

Glued the cover back on, really need six clamps but only had four so improvised

Finished Product, note I broke one of the plastic retaining clips putting the cover back in so clamp is still on whilst glue drying

Scruba

Wanderer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Certainly looks better than before. So dash out it is then :S

fireballv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 1 Berlina wagon
yeah real good job. My Berlina's is a bit lumpy and wavy, but then again, I didnt have to pull the whole dash out to get it on...

nitrowarrior

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Vt GTS Build 78
Just be careful playing around in there guys, especially with heat guns etc..... Ammonium Nitrate Charge is what makes your airbag inflate, as has been posted before would hate to be in the car when one goes off.... Have played with a few of these systems and its always the same warning...Danger Explosives in there!!!!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
yeah real good job. My Berlina's is a bit lumpy and wavy, but then again, I didnt have to pull the whole dash out to get it on...

Do you have any before and after pics ?

S

simplyemskee

Senator... What did you use to get the old crusty glue off? Looking at doing this to mine

Senator829

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 HSV Senator & 2012 RG Colorado LTZ
Sorry only just saw this. I hit the metal lid with a wire wheel in my drill