Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vt no enigne warning light air bag light on car wont start at all WTF

D

devilly

nope it died again. the amount of swearing I'm doing now is unbelievable. email has crash. water leaking out of tap in bathroom as cant get part to fix it so have to turn off the mains ARG. so if I turn to acc I can hear a very loud high pitch noise sounds like its coming from alternator. kind of sounds like a cricket very high pitch. when I turn the key and don't get this noise then I can hear the fuel pump and iac go through it steps and it starts up. dunno I have lost the plot today.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Get yourself some of that CRC electra clean and use it to clean out all your connectors etc.

D

devilly

Still working on it :( cranks will not fire up. battery not holding charge going from 12.6 to 11.4 over night, charged it over night and got the wrrr wrrr when trying to start it, so I got a brand new battery, nope still wont fire up. I changed out the alternator and found a wire with damage to it. so currently going through the wiring system thinking must be a short somewhere. oh also the high pitch noise was the alternator wiring. Kind of sounds like a big mosquito type noise, or the starter motor nuts where loose so everything I'm going through slowly and testing and checking as I go. big hint those big pink and yellow fuses when you test them for connect ability also wobble the blades one of mine was snapped off.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
was the alternator making that noise drawing amps? i have heard this usually flattens batteries when u hear this, mayb keep doing a draw test through each fuse, may or may not point u in a direction but u could have a couple things drawing at the same time. From memory 50ma is normal anything more is questionable depending what it is.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Mine did this and had fans on constant with ignition on .was the airbag module under the centre consol the plug had filled with spilt drinks and **** dripping down from the cup holder area and all the wires had corrosion bridging them.it cut comes on the aldl bus and stopped the engine light working and tied up the security and everything else on the data bus

D

devilly

dunno if it was alternator or starter motor making the high pitch noise. but its gone know. all that has me concerned that I can hear is this big click from engine bay. as soon as I turn it to reds CLICK from engine bay area. I can now hear iac going through the steps. I will try a few more ideas before I will actually have to call someone out but that will be after the new year as it will be a cheaper call out fee.

the hardest part is testing while not having someone to turn over the key, when I need to pin point the noise. I have changed over every relay and checked all the fuses, even the fuel pump relay thinking it might be sticking half open or something. also added in extra fuel in case its a pressure thing.

my thoughts now are purge vale solenoid, checking all wires and terminals and just going through it till I find the bugger. no fault codes 12 is all that is shown. with a brand new battery and alternator it sounds really strong now like its got heaps more guts then it's ever had before :) I changed from 90 amps to 100 amps on the alternator and now have 650 cca on battery :)

D

devilly

Nope it don't start just get the wrrrr wrrrr no Vroom :) cant drive anywhere for the last week or so just been working on it. got a few more ideas to try but will try after Christmas.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Photo011.jpg
Back to basics. Do you you have spark, fuel, air?
That click in engine bay. There is a fuse that blew on my car once. Can't remember symptoms. Car wouldn't start anyway. Replaced, & problem solved.
Multimeter time. It may even be a broken wire.
Picture of fuse.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
That is the main fusible link, if it was stuffed I don't think anything would work.

Do you have the wiring diagrams for this beasty?