Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The King is dead. Long live the King! RIP Commodore :-(

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
Well, for the rest of us, the fact that driving the Commodore isn’t like punching ourselves continuously & as hard as possible in the testicles is a big positive for the Commodore.
Not to mention that in the real world the Commodore uses less fuel, has way more room, is more comfortable, costs less to run & doesn’t have a DSG innit.
You sure? I live in the real world with an (average) 14L/100 Commodore, formerly an 11.5L/100 Commodore and have driven a Tiguan for a few months with its 8.5L/100 fuel economy. It had more room, debatable on the comfort, and cost waaaay less to run. It was overall the better car... if you take away performance. For most people performance isn't a factor.

Now... for those who want a rwd lsd manual 6L v8? Yeah **** yeah Commodore.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I guess I wasn’t comparing the 6.2L 300kW+ version of the Commodore with the 120-ish kW 4cyl Tiguan ... :)

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
I guess I wasn’t comparing the 6.2L 300kW+ version of the Commodore with the 120-ish kW 4cyl Tiguan ... :)
The 11.5L/100 Commodore was my 3.6L V6 :)

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Would I want to do either of these trips in a dual cab or SUV...only if I had no other option..I’m grateful I do!

I had the displeasure of getting "upgraded" to a Mitsubishi SUV from my Toyota Camry/Subaru Liberty rental for my 6000+km round road trip from Perth to Adelaide (& surroundings)...

God fark me that was the biggest gutless pos I've ever driven... basically treated the accelerator as an on/off switch, if I needed to accelerate, I floored it.

Made my dad's diesel 4x4 felt like a performance vehicle... lol

Thank God my wife dislikes SUVs as much as me and hates a high driving position... she likes it down low.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

Crom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline
I don't see how, it's really just making people even less convinced there will be parts support, with Holden foldin'.

Worked alongside the HSPO transport contract a number of years back. Was amazing how many parts they had for the older variants/previous models. It was explained at the time that Holden "had" to keep a number of years/models worth of components. I can't confirm if that's correct, or who in fact is supposed to enforce that requirement (maybe ACCC?).

I agree though, they'll be lucky to see out 2020. Dropping back to the SUV/Ute market, in which they are barely competing anyways doesn't look enough to save them.

*Edit: can't find anything specific on Aus, but the US has legislation requiring parts for every model be available for 10 years.

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Worked alongside the HSPO transport contract a number of years back. Was amazing how many parts they had for the older variants/previous models. It was explained at the time that Holden "had" to keep a number of years/models worth of components. I can't confirm if that's correct, or who in fact is supposed to enforce that requirement (maybe ACCC?).

I agree though, they'll be lucky to see out 2020. Dropping back to the SUV/Ute market, in which they are barely competing anyways doesn't look enough to save them.

*Edit: can't find anything specific on Aus, but the US has legislation requiring parts for every model be available for 10 years.
I think a similar 10 year legal requirement exists here. I've certainly heard it mentioned more than once over the years.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I think a similar 10 year legal requirement exists here. I've certainly heard it mentioned more than once over the years.
There are ways around it, though. To give an example, when looking at EB2’s and ED’s for Dad, the cars were 5-6 years old & the spec-levels without Cruise were massively cheaper than those that had it; and all he wanted were aircon & cruise-control. So I asked about the dealer-fit cruise-control option for a GLi; and was told it was no longer available despite the 10yr parts-rule because the supplier had shut down.

So all that’s heeded is for the supplier to no longer exist, and there’s no need for the importer to carry those parts any more.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
There are ways around it, though.

Yeah they just dont care about the legal side of it.

Under acl if you buy a new vehicle that is a dud like a engine that is a dud they are supposed to offer you a full refund or a replacement and you decide what you want but what actually happens is they screw you around and then try to make you accept a solution that they want and not what is the legal requirement.

The accc/oft dont give a **** so if holden pulls out of aus you will probably find gm wont do anything to support the vehicles they leave behind and our money hungry pro business government wont do anything about it because it might upset a political donor for the next round of elections.

Last edited: