Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LS1 computer on 5 litre

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute 355 + VF Clubby W375 + ZB RSV
Have consulted a new engineer and this guy is much more helpful. A bit further away but worth the extra drive.
It looks like my main issue will be meeting the emissions. My car has some decent engine mods.
They have recommended using and LS1 computer/harness and this will allow them to tune to meet emissions requirements.
Previous posts from sometime ago have suggested no more power will be achieved but are they talking motors with minor mods?
My main aim is to get it engineered so not too worried about more power.
Has anyone used the LS1 computer on a 5 litre?

I posted this on an old thread of mine but title was noy really related

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For minor mods keeping Delco setup heaps easier & cheaper with off shelf memcal....as long as common mods there will be a tune either bu tuner or pcmhaching forum.

Yes ls1 ecu has been done before but been years since anyone has bothered because if spending big on engine/driveline might as well go Haltech etc.

A lot comes down to tuner & still couple of tuners that still do Delco memcals...not many or close proximity like maybe just one in each state

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
For minor mods keeping Delco setup heaps easier & cheaper with off shelf memcal....as long as common mods there will be a tune either bu tuner or pcmhaching forum.

Yes ls1 ecu has been done before but been years since anyone has bothered because if spending big on engine/driveline might as well go Haltech etc.

A lot comes down to tuner & still couple of tuners that still do Delco memcals...not many or close proximity like maybe just one in each state
From what I’ve been told there is zero chance off meeting emmision with a delco. Engines as 235, 242 cam, stroked, intake, exhaust and heads. I’ve put Wilwood brakes on so it’s increased the chance I’ll get pulled up. I was hoping to just get the brakes engineered but you can’t do that now. Have to do the hole car.
Can Haltech be used on 4L60E? I don’t want to have to manual shift the auto.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Elite 2500 I think it is called will run 4l60e or 4l80e.

What car & what engineer?

Newcastle bloke that makes you do brake testing at airport?

Since when do you emission testing in Nsw unless get a canary or backdoored in another crackdown?

Decent sized cam be hard to pass without tuning it to specifically pass emission test even then probably need E85 for it.

Ive seen a few cars get engineered with stock or near stock Ls engine then go wild after car is passed.

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Elite 2500 I think it is called will run 4l60e or 4l80e.

What car & what engineer?

Newcastle bloke that makes you do brake testing at airport?

Since when do you emission testing in Nsw unless get a canary or backdoored in another crackdown?

Decent sized cam be hard to pass without tuning it to specifically pass emission test even then probably need E85 for it.

Ive seen a few cars get engineered with stock or near stock Ls engine then go wild after car is passed.
It's a 98 VS ute. The Engineer is from the Riverina. I've have spoken to a few and they also say similar things but he is definitely the most helpful.
A mild LS3 would've probably been a smarter choice but I'm in too far in to turn back. I drive sensibly the vast majority of the time but it only takes one officer to make things difficult so I'd rather get ahead of the game. Also for insurance purposes.
The Willwoods are excellent but can draw attention, good and bad. I have a VF clubby and I'd say the ute brakes as well as that now and it's much safer to drive.
I can run the risk and not worry like a lot of people do, and I have been doing for the last 5 years since the driveline was done. I suppose it's like driving without comprehensive insurance-are you willing to risk it..

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
If people are looking at enginneers in the Riverina I'd steer clear of Toybox in Gundagai. He wants money up front. Gave me poor advice then leaves you hanging. No reply to calls or emails for 3 months. I think maybe he is taking the piss. Maybe that's his business model???

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
If people are looking at enginneers in the Riverina I'd steer clear of Toybox in Gundagai. He wants money up front. Gave me poor advice then leaves you hanging. No reply to calls or emails for 3 months. I think maybe he is taking the piss. Maybe that's his business model???
Are you using anyone in Wagga?

I think l may have asked this question before, if l have sorry, but l forget?

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride
Are you using anyone in Wagga?

I think l may have asked this question before, if l have sorry, but l forget?
No one in Wagga does it. Once I’m done I’ll post who I’m using. Hopefully full of praise.

Reactions: Lex

DG355

Reaction score
Members Ride

If people are looking for memcal tuner’s in NSW there is Ace performance in West Sydney or Alpine Performance down Whoroughly, just over the border in Mexico.