Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SV6 AIRCON fan flick water onto carpet when Fan is on High Speed .

MickfromAustralia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 and VE SV6 Sedans
Looking for a picture or info on AC Drain .. Sent the car to Ultra Tune for a Service and water running down Transmission Tunnel Passenger side mainly , Too hard for them so sent me to Aircon mob at Milton in Brisbane that said it was a leaking high pressure hose from compressor ... #whatatool , anyway he had no answer for why there was a flood in the car and the problem actually got worse after he corrected gas pressures to diagnose leak . Now on High fan speed you can hear the fan flicking water around and it increses the amount that runs down the tranny tunnel . Had a chat to our new Auto ellecy / aircon guru who fixed Mrs Prado and he thinks it has to be the drain even though Mr Kool and Ultratune say it is not blocked . I have massive hands and arms so struggle to feel around for the drain , I see threads about recalls etc but it only started a month ago .

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Looking for a picture or info on AC Drain .. Sent the car to Ultra Tune for a Service and water running down Transmission Tunnel Passenger side mainly , Too hard for them so sent me to Aircon mob at Milton in Brisbane that said it was a leaking high pressure hose from compressor ... #whatatool , anyway he had no answer for why there was a flood in the car and the problem actually got worse after he corrected gas pressures to diagnose leak . Now on High fan speed you can hear the fan flicking water around and it increses the amount that runs down the tranny tunnel . Had a chat to our new Auto ellecy / aircon guru who fixed Mrs Prado and he thinks it has to be the drain even though Mr Kool and Ultratune say it is not blocked . I have massive hands and arms so struggle to feel around for the drain , I see threads about recalls etc but it only started a month ago .
Check the plenum in front of the cabin filter in the engine bay.
There is a drain in the bottom of the plenum, if it blocks up, it can fill with water and overflow into the HVAC system.

MickfromAustralia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 and VE SV6 Sedans
Check the plenum in front of the cabin filter in the engine bay.
There is a drain in the bottom of the plenum, if it blocks up, it can fill with water and overflow into the HVAC system.
Thanks , Just about to have a look in there , I used my borescope to look at the rubber elbow that seems to exit above the gearbox , was all connected and no water in that area

MickfromAustralia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 and VE SV6 Sedans
Was not much in there , cabin filter was new but shocking quality

Attachments

• IMG_6756.jpeg
    IMG_6756.jpeg
    719.5 KB · Views: 50

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Seems to be a lot of dust getting past the cabin filter to the fan.
Not that it is probably causing the water problem but (scratching at straws) any blockages due to this dust?

MickfromAustralia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 and VE SV6 Sedans
Seems to be a lot of dust getting past the cabin filter to the fan.
Not that it is probably causing the water problem but (scratching at straws) any blockages due to this dust?
Agree , dusty in there , no water coming out the drain so on a mission in the morning . Car is on the ramps , have a gopro on a stick to livestream the location of the drain and making up a copper 1/2” pipe to connect to the airgun to bend around the box and clear the drain…I hope .

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8
Pull off the the passenger side front lower console trim off the side of the centre console, (pull it away from the centre console from the front of the trim and slide it to the front of the vehicle slightly to disengage the rear of the trim and then remove it ) be carefull not to lose the trim clip from the side trim when you pull it away, if it pops off the trim it needs to be clipped back onto the side trim BEFORE you reinstall the side trim. Then you need to pull the side of the carpet out and you should be able to see the HVAC drain.

You wont be able to gain access to the drain to unblock it unless you remove the two drain screws from the aircon case. you will need a mini ratchet with a small phillips screw driver bit to do this as there is no room to use a normal screw driver.
1716564672623.png

Once the two phillips screws are removed the drain will be able to be removed from the aircon case.

There are two different types of seals you may encounter sealing the drain from the aircon case to the drain outlet attached to the trans tunnel.

One is a foam seal which is made of closed cell foam made from pipe insulation. On some vehicles this foam seal would catch up on the floor carpet during dash module installation in production and distort/dislodge the foam and cause it to leak.

The other one would be a revised rubber seal manufactured by GMH to stop aircon condensate from leaking into the floor of the vehicle, as the foam seals leaked on some vehicles.

Yes it was a recall

Good luck.

Last edited:

MickfromAustralia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 and VE SV6 Sedans
Pull off the the passenger side front lower console trim off the side of the centre console, (pull it away from the centre console from the front of the trim and slide it to the front of the vehicle slightly to disengage the rear of the trim and then remove it ) be carefull not to lose the trim clip from the side trim when you pull it away, if it pops off the trim it needs to be clipped back onto the side trim BEFORE you reinstall the side trim. Then you need to pull the side of the carpet out and you should be able to see the HVAC drain.

You wont be able to gain access to the drain to unblock it unless you remove the two drain screws from the aircon case. you will need a mini ratchet with a small phillips screw driver bit to do this as there is no room to use a normal screw driver.
View attachment 268479
Once the two phillips screws are removed the drain will be able to be removed from the aircon case.

There are two different types of seals you may encounter sealing the drain from the aircon case to the drain outlet attached to the trans tunnel.

One is a foam seal which is made of closed cell foam made from pipe insulation. On some vehicles this foam seal would catch up on the floor carpet during dash module installation in production and distort/dislodge the foam and cause it to leak.

The other one would be a revised rubber seal manufactured by GMH to stop aircon condensate from leaking into the floor of the vehicle, as the foam seals leaked on some vehicles.

Yes it was a recall

Good luck.
I got lucky , I made an extention for my workshop blower , rolled under the car from the front ,found the drain with a gopro on a stick and guided the air into the drain , gave it a quick pump and then the waterfall began , Drain had mossy decomposed chunks in it and some small leaves , now it rains out of the drain , no water noise in the cabin and no water falling on the carpet . I then unloaded a whole can of Glen 20 in through the airbox .. removed cabin filter .

MickfromAustralia

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 and VE SV6 Sedans
I got lucky , I made an extention for my workshop blower , rolled under the car from the front ,found the drain with a gopro on a stick and guided the air into the drain , gave it a quick pump and then the waterfall began , Drain had mossy decomposed chunks in it and some small leaves , now it rains out of the drain , no water noise in the cabin and no water falling on the carpet . I then unloaded a whole can of Glen 20 in through the airbox .. removed cabin filter .

Attachments

• IMG_6822.jpeg
    IMG_6822.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 34

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Did you actually have a cabin filter or just the mesh nonsense that it comes with?