Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crash Stats

jester419

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Hey Guys/Gals,

I was having a (heated) debated with my parents over a V8 conversion and there point was that a 5L was more dangerous and that more ppl die in them and all that who-ha :bang: I kindly reminded them that if you hit a tree at 120 in a V6 u have the same chance as hittin it at 120 in a V8 :p

So I was thinking does anyone no where there are any stats on what percentage of crashes are V8's and V6's?

cheers in advance!

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Impact speed always counts. 4 banger will still go splat at 120. :)

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
On younger groups, most fatalities were in modified vehicles, that is all that is said, which is why there are so many restrictions on what can and cant be driven.

While its good to say damage at 1 speed will do the same in any car, its how quickly it gets to that speed which is the danger.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Jester

Even if such stats existed, they won't help your case. The number of V6's on the road compared to V8's would mean that many more collisions occur involving V6's. You would have to be able to show the percentage of 6's on the road involved in prangs, compared to the number of 8's on the road involved in prangs, for the comparision to have much value.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
how old are u have u thought of insurance and stuff i wanted a WH V8 but couldnt justify spending that much on insurance so when im 25 ill get a V8

jester419

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
Impact speed always counts. 4 banger will still go splat at 120. :)

didnt knw they could make 120 :p

On younger groups, most fatalities were in modified vehicles, that is all that is said, which is why there are so many restrictions on what can and cant be driven.

While its good to say damage at 1 speed will do the same in any car, its how quickly it gets to that speed which is the danger.

you do make a good point...although it wasn't for the right team lol
lucky for me there arent any restricitons (that i know of or will follow) :dance:

Jester

Even if such stats existed, they won't help your case. The number of V6's on the road compared to V8's would mean that many more collisions occur involving V6's. You would have to be able to show the percentage of 6's on the road involved in prangs, compared to the number of 8's on the road involved in prangs, for the comparision to have much value.

yeh thats wat i was trying to get cause they would have brought up that point :cry:

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
as for a four banger doing 120 clicks, you make me laugh.

i was in a current model camry one night at over 200km/h (not illegal, on private road) and also i drove a rodeo diesel (VCDI motor) 4WD ute there the other week and hit 200km/h.

if i can guarantee you one thing, i'd certainly prefer to be doing 200km/h in a decent commodore than in a rodeo. ffs this 4wd ute didn't even have 4 wheel disc brakes. or even more scary is the camry, front wheel drive. imagine a blowout at those speeds in fwd car.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
how old are u have u thought of insurance and stuff i wanted a WH V8 but couldnt justify spending that much on insurance so when im 25 ill get a V8

Insurance depends on your driving record.

Having 3 years clean driving record with the same insurer, they were more than happy to give me a decent price for a V8. Even with just cars it was down to 1200 with mods

jester419

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
wat kinda insurance u have Stealthy?

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi