Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Crash Stats

jester419

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais
comprehensive or 3rd party or 3rd party theft fire

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
as for a four banger doing 120 clicks, you make me laugh.

i was in a current model camry one night at over 200km/h (not illegal, on private road) and also i drove a rodeo diesel (VCDI motor) 4WD ute there the other week and hit 200km/h.

if i can guarantee you one thing, i'd certainly prefer to be doing 200km/h in a decent commodore than in a rodeo. ffs this 4wd ute didn't even have 4 wheel disc brakes. or even more scary is the camry, front wheel drive. imagine a blowout at those speeds in fwd car.

lol, those current rodeo/colorados, with the 4jj diesel engine are scary on wet roads with the stock tyres, (2wd) we have one as our work ute, they got real well, especially when you hit 2nd gear, they launch

levymetal

TURN MY HEADPHONES UP
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV ENHANCED VP CALAIS
i'd say it's 100% driver mentality based... a good sensible driver wouldn't be at any more risk of crashing if they drove a v8... but remember generally speaking this is the majority of the population, these are the people that DON'T drive v8s! even if you got the % of v6 crashes and % of v8 crashes, it's still biased because you'd have more fully sick **** hoon ********s driving v8s who of course have a higher chance of crashing any car. hopefully by restricting them that they will learn how to control a vehicle a little bit better before they get into a v8.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
comprehensive or 3rd party or 3rd party theft fire

When i first got my lcense, i had my VL insured with RAA 3rd party fire and theft.

After 3 years (well, 3.5) with them, i then got my V8, and had full comp!
I only changed insures because RAA wouldn't allow any mods.

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
minux; said:
its how quickly it gets to that speed which is the danger.

And therin lies the rub!
while the stock v8 is not that much more powerfull than the stock V6 , it will still get up to speed faster stock 4 stock! The difference is when you find yourself in trouble it might be those few seconds slower in the V6 that could save your life! But im not one 2 judge, and im not implying in anyway that you couldnt control/handle a V8 as i dont know you personally, but either way mate parents will be parents, they just love ya and want to know you will be ok and its their right to be concerned/lecture:p

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Also thought i should mention, i bought my V8 against the advice of my parents.

My Dad came with me when i test drove my car, and said 'its a nice car, shame your not getting a V8'. Little did he know i was!

6 Years later, the car still hasn't been crashed.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Having never had a stack and being old I can get full insurance for a modifed 5 litre from Shannons for $350 :D, I'd never own a car that cost more than 500 to insure, that's just madness. Having had both a V6 and a 5 litre there's no difference in the crashability of the cars unles you are being silly in the rain, then you would be more likely to crash in the 5 litre of course

02DUBH

Reaction score
Members Ride
SENATOR
my insurance for the wh international 5.7L is only 760 full comprehensive, i dont understand why people say insurance is so much more on a V8 if your a younger driver. as my vp cost around the 600 mark

02DUBH

Reaction score
Members Ride
SENATOR
allianz, and i dont have a very impressive driving record either.