Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lifespan Of Ecotec V6, What have you done in the case of Total Engine Failure?

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
kind sirs (!)
would you be kind enough to share your experiences of what you have done in the cases of total engine failure i.e when the time comes to recondition, big ends go, valve gear, rings etc.
has anyone had any experience with repco swaps ($3500), or otherwise? Wreckers ($900 approx)?
do it yourself bearings kits etc (500?)?

how many kays has yours done before these unfortunate events????

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
c'mon guys....
surely someones had a blown engine...

Morganv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
yeah
i blew up my folks vs commodore at 152000k's..... they'd only brought it at 130000... it wasnt a good experience... big end bearing went... as i was driving it home... oil light came on.. with a very loud tap.... the guys who took the motor out said someone must of been driving it like a race car... it wasnt me previous owners lucky my folks got a warranty when they got the car... so far its had a new motor... recently a new trans and the diff is probably the next thing to go

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Crankshaft bearing at 220xxx Ks, I drove it like I stole it for a year, surprised it kept up for so long.

asute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S pack Ute V6/M5
Mine just blew bottom end bearing! 320 000kms thats with serives on the dot for entire life. The mechanic said its not worth fixing cheaper to buy rebuilt one about $2800 from Holden., a Delco motor comes with 18 month wannaty.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
what do you mean by a rebuilt one from holden??
I thought holden would only sell brand newies.
Delco?

S

stapla

i'm faced with this situation now. motor and trans are stuffed in a vehicle i just purchased. once i get to 10 posts i will do a WTB for 2nd hand v6 and trans in the forums.

cheers
peter.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
a very expensive situation... not many seem forthcoming with a magic fix. what to do, what to do....

rajawolf

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon acclaim
VS 97 oil pump failure 179,000 kms, computer shut motor down..mains, bigends gone, crank needs a buff, bore and pistions ok.. but if you are pulling down the motor better add rings and gaskets also...then u have the heads..valve regrind, pressure test..shave, new gaskets, new oil pump, timing chain, lifters, cam, ect ect...that will add up to about say $1500+ using your own labor....,cheaper to buy motor with say around 40,000 klms from a wrecker $1200 - $1400. OMG this is my car I am talking about.. :(

Last edited: