Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My VT twin TB project under way

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
Heres my latest project.
Its a twin TB custom intake plenum for an ecotec.

I bought an old intake plenum and cut the top off leaving me with the base

Bent the sides around the base and welded a plate 5mm down from the top.
I then cut out a hole leaving me a 10mm lip so that i had something to bolt the lid down to and seal to.

All i need to do now is cut out the lid and drill and tap the rim inside the plenum, drill 2 holes in the side so that the TB's can bolt to the side and somehow get another VT TB and hook it all up.

IMGP1351.jpg

IMGP1504.jpg

IMGP1503.jpg

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
Looking good mate. Will be interesting to see the results of this! I'm planning exactly the same, got the spare manifold there waiting for me to get off my lazy butt and start it... :)

hinterland

commyvt
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Members Ride
vt sed turbo
verry neat will work a treat looks bit like one i made while ago.exept mine was not welded just bolted and sealed.

Attachments

• PCDV00021.jpg
    PCDV00021.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 296
T

Tradewind

Should make 160 - 170 Whp with a few supporting mods. What about tuning to make it all work properly?

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
hinterland said:
verry neat will work a treat looks bit like one i made while ago.exept mine was not welded just bolted and sealed.
Where do you think i got the idea, i saw your's but i thought ill go all the way and weld it.

In regards to the tune, i already have a Dr bob custom memcal, so ill probs just send it back and get it re done

Last edited:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
looks the goods, gets me wondering though how the air pulses are going to bounce off of those nice flat sides......how'd you go for bonnet clearance? i know through my experiences that there is at least 40mm of free room above the plenum without need to worry about contact with the bonnet....

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
i bored two 70mm holes in the side at work on friday and figured out that cant have the TB's bolted straight to the side due to the fuel rail.

So ive got 2 70mm lengths of 80mmID ally pipe and 2 peices of 25mm thick ally bar stock.

Im going to weld the 80mm pipe onto the side over the holes and get somone at work to make me 2 flanges out of the bar stock exactly the same as the current TB flange and have that welded on the end of the pipe ready to bolt the TB's to
In the end it will look like the Group A twin thottle plenum.

Will get some new pics up soon
This is the Group A plenum

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
I took it to church on sunday morning and the priest blessed it so now its holy. LOL
I should have the two pipes welded on by monday arvo after i knock off and if im lucky the two flanges should be finished and welded onto the pipes by thursday-friday
So far as a guide its cost me

$20 wall material and bending into shape

$70 for welding as i didn't want to stuff it as im not experianced enough with alluminium welding and it would have cost way more to set my mig up for ally just for one job.

$4 for two 80mm pipe lengths at 70mm long

around $20 for 25mm thick ally bar at 200mm long as ill be picking it up tomorrow lunch time
So over all its cost me a little under $120 with help from friends and work mates.
Beats over $1000 for off the shelf TTB plenums
Resized_IMGP1512.jpg