Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Exterior Door Trim??

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hey, I got a phone call this morning from ASV (Adelaide Special Vehicles) who have had my car for a week now. They attempted taking the exterior door trim off the guards and had alot of trouble, with some paint being taken off the guards (i have new guards going on anyway so this doesnt matter).

But they rang and said if the same happens with the rest of the trim, it will cost me an extra $150 per door because they will have to repaint the doors! So obviously I said leave the door trim on.

So how do I go about taking it off myself? Its the Calais/Berlina style trim and it has that big thick black scholastic stuff that sticks it to the doors. I know people have used fishing line to take the door trim off which I will use as well unless anyone has a better way?

But the main issue is removing the black glue/scholastic stuff... I do not want to use petrol or anything corrosive on the doors that could harm the paint.

Any help would be awesome guys cause I dont want to be driving around with the door trim only on the doors, not the guards...and it looks out of place with a kit anyway!

p.s. they also offered to service my car for $50 while its up on the hoist, filters, oil etc...Better leaving it to my mechanic or let ASV do it?

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
i used a hair dryer to take my badges off. heat the badge and slowly peel it off. be careful though it can get really hot. leave the car in the sun before doing this that way it doesn't take long to heat the glue. for $50 i would get them to do it. that is very cheap.

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
sounds like sikaflex (spelling?) strikes again!!

what i did was peal them off slowly, then attacked it with a caramel wheel. But do it slowly and take your time or you will burn the paint.

90VN55

Reaction score
Members Ride
90 VN SS 5speed, '90 VN Calais 5speed
1991_Vn2nV said:
Hmm cheers for the advice. Why did holden have to use something so friggin difficult to remove.
rofl!!!
i think its not ment to come off

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
1991_Vn2nV said:
Hmm cheers for the advice. Why did holden have to use something so friggin difficult to remove.

they got sick of people stealing badges ;) i had one fall off actuallyhad to pick one up from the wreckers (didnt wreck the paint with full force)

ummm hair dryer with work the best..... use dental floss, its much stronger and thinner...!!!!!

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
PaRaDoX616 said:
they got sick of people stealing badges ;) i had one fall off actuallyhad to pick one up from the wreckers (didnt wreck the paint with full force)

ummm hair dryer with work the best..... use dental floss, its much stronger and thinner...!!!!!

You mean a badge? Or the exterior door trim?

p.s. Cheers for the dental floss idea man. Will use that instead of fishing line :thumbsup:

Spike79

Just Confused!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra LX6, VP Berlina LX, Citroen C3
I had to remove the exterior door trims before i had it repainted. Holden put way too much urethane/sikaflex on the back, with that much it isn't going anywhere.

The paintshop recommended that i get a paint scraper and sharpen up the edge and round off the corners so it doesn't scratch the paint. Then put it in behind the trim strip and tap it along with a rubber mallet.

This worked for me. It does leave a bit of urethane behind on the paint. This can be removed with a bit of eucalyptus or spirits and a lot of patience.

I tried fishing line and wire, they dont work on the wide strips, theres too much urethane to get through.