Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

‘Pre oiling’ New Oil Filter

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Just as a point of interest I’ve noticed with my daily Mazda if I don’t prime the oil system after doing an oil change then it makes a noise for the 1st couple of seconds like the oil pump is trying to suck oil up

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
If I cannot fill a filter with oil, like my LS1, I prime the system

There are multiple ways to do it so the car doesn't start

I consider it best practice

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
If I cannot fill a filter with oil, like my LS1, I prime the system

There are multiple ways to do it so the car doesn't start

I consider it best practice
I'm pouring the new oil in through the breather, fill cap at the top of the motor. That oil must then drain through the oil galleries and into the sump. So the only starvation that l can see is in the initial startup as was previously mentioned and it happens on every startup. Even after leaving the motor for extended periods there would still be a thin film of oil on every thing. Noisier for the first 10-15secs thats for sure. The quicker that the pump can get the pressure up the better.
I'm assuming you're keying the motor over with out starting to build up line pressure.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
I'm pouring the new oil in through the breather, fill cap at the top of the motor. That oil must then drain through the oil galleries and into the sump. So the only starvation that l can see is in the initial startup as was previously mentioned and it happens on every startup. Even after leaving the motor for extended periods there would still be a thin film of oil on every thing. Noisier for the first 10-15secs thats for sure. The quicker that the pump can get the pressure up the better.
I'm assuming you're keying the motor over with out starting to build up line pressure.
Yeah, keying it a couple of times to get oil thru the pump and past the filter to build oil pressure

I like oil that is under pressure between my bearings and lobes as soon as possible at start up, priming the oil system only adds about 30 seconds to the oil change

I'm not sure how your oiling system is plumbed, but, I assume where you are pouring in, the oil is just returning to the sump from the oil return galleries that just returns oil from the top of the motor to the sump, none of that oil gets to the pressure lines

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Yeah, keying it a couple of times to get oil thru the pump and past the filter to build oil pressure

I like oil that is under pressure between my bearings and lobes as soon as possible at start up, priming the oil system only adds about 30 seconds to the oil change

I'm not sure how your oiling system is plumbed, but, I assume where you are pouring in, the oil is just returning to the sump from the oil return galleries that just returns oil from the top of the motor to the sump, none of that oil gets to the pressure lines
Oops yes that makes sense, doing it my way it would have to drain out through the pickup. Cheers mate.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
This on the Alloytec is easy. Just got the filter to the cap of the filter housing and hold it upside down. Then fill it with oil until the paper is wet then flip it over pouring the excess into the filter housing and screw it down. At least that way the paper is wet. It may not make a huge difference to the end result though but I've been doing that for a while now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sell it an buy a V8, problem solved.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
This on the Alloytec is easy. Just got the filter to the cap of the filter housing and hold it upside down. Then fill it with oil until the paper is wet then flip it over pouring the excess into the filter housing and screw it down. At least that way the paper is wet. It may not make a huge difference to the end result though but I've been doing that for a while now.
I'm always amazed at how much the filter media actually absorbs

Your way is 100% better than not doing it