Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

♥♦ GAMBLR ♣♠ VZ Calais

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Good pick up buddy! I have a calais but 190 alloytec, and i WISH it was LS1... if you get bored of the high fuel economy we can swap :) haha

Cheers mate. I drove the V6 and I quite liked it, especially the torque and the 5 speed transmission. But when this come up, I had to take it.
Hate to tell ya though, there is no high fuel economy. The V8 gets similar fuel usage on the highway as to my old '6 and with the LPG, I get the power and cheap running costs :p Just to put salt in the wounds

Seen it cruising around today, looks good mate!

Thanks buddy, where abouts are you, Whyalla or Pirie?

Matt02SS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS + VY exec + Vs wagon
Hey man. Love your car. looks even better in person. Sunroof sets the whole thing off IMO.

Ps. Is your brother still selling the skyline?

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Cheers mate. I drove the V6 and I quite liked it, especially the torque and the 5 speed transmission. But when this come up, I had to take it.
Hate to tell ya though, there is no high fuel economy. The V8 gets similar fuel usage on the highway as to my old '6 and with the LPG, I get the power and cheap running costs :p Just to put salt in the wounds

Dont tell me that!! That's definately not what i want to hear... :p

But i justify it by being on my Ps still, so technically its 'illegal' to have a V8... Or at least that makes me feel better about having the 6 anyway haha.

I do admit the 6s go well for a 6, what did you notice between the 8 and 6 seeing you've driven them both?

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Dont tell me that!! That's definately not what i want to hear... :p

But i justify it by being on my Ps still, so technically its 'illegal' to have a V8... Or at least that makes me feel better about having the 6 anyway haha.

I do admit the 6s go well for a 6, what did you notice between the 8 and 6 seeing you've driven them both?

Fair enough justification I suppose. I love the LPG set up on it, makes it possible for me to run it everyday :) A VZ Calais on your P's in any form and you're doing well.

The V6 has a lot more torque off the line IMO, appears punchier, and the gearbox is smoother. Also runs more economically than a regular 6 because of the box's extra cog and different shift points. V6 is also a little easier to manouvre and steer. My guess is the V8 being a heavier engine makes a difference.

But the V8 does get up and move, sounds awesome and sits through corners a bit better. Well, to me it did anyway...

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
Hey man. Love your car. looks even better in person. Sunroof sets the whole thing off IMO.

Ps. Is your brother still selling the skyline?

Cheers man, photos don't do it enough justice IMO. Plus it's been polished a few times now, starting to really come alive... The sunroof raised at the back makes it look tough for some reason.

Yeah, the Skyline is up for grabs matey, $14000 ono.

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Fair enough justification I suppose. I love the LPG set up on it, makes it possible for me to run it everyday :) A VZ Calais on your P's in any form and you're doing well.

The V6 has a lot more torque off the line IMO, appears punchier, and the gearbox is smoother. Also runs more economically than a regular 6 because of the box's extra cog and different shift points. V6 is also a little easier to manouvre and steer. My guess is the V8 being a heavier engine makes a difference.

But the V8 does get up and move, sounds awesome and sits through corners a bit better. Well, to me it did anyway...

Thats very interesting. Ive heard that too, that the V8 is a bit slower initially off the line, but once wound up, it leaves the 6 for dead. But theres nothing like a V8 exhaust note... plus the ability to make it go fast, cams, OTRs, headers and forced induction. All power mods seem like a waste of effort to me on a 6.

With LPG, can you do engine mods like cams etc?

wotto5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-V SPORTSWAGON 6M
Looking Good Damo..saw you driving it the other day...looks very very clean..as always

Anwyll

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina V6

I think they tend to recommend against mods of that level although if it is a dedicated system (not dual fuel) you can go all out (cams, forced induction, etc) and pull some crazy numbers although it is rather uncommon especially in the commodore scene.

You can make mild mods with dual fuel setups, all the usual basic bolt-on stuff like CAI, throttle bodies, exhaust/headers, even high ratio rockers and manifold spacers. I did all this on an old VN V6 many years ago and she definitely had a lot more stomp than standard but always went harder on petrol. Never had backfires either although I was careful with my mix.

I'd assume you might be able to go a bit further with your mods with alloytecs though if they're running a injection LPG kit (which they should). Anyone done this?

GAMBLR

Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
+
Thats very interesting. Ive heard that too, that the V8 is a bit slower initially off the line, but once wound up, it leaves the 6 for dead. But theres nothing like a V8 exhaust note... plus the ability to make it go fast, cams, OTRs, headers and forced induction. All power mods seem like a waste of effort to me on a 6.

Power mods on a 6... well thats of the opinion. If you were keeping it long term then you could, but if not, like you I wouldn't see the point.
I'm yet to find out what can be done on it being dual fuel. I've got to confirm the LPG system first, I have no idea if it's vapour injected or liquid injected. From there, I spose we'll see what can be done with it. Love to cam it, but funds are a bit limited at the moment.

I'm in Whyalla :)

Ah sweet as man, give us a toot next time, I'd have no idea lol

Looking Good Damo..saw you driving it the other day...looks very very clean..as always

Cheers man

I think they tend to recommend against mods of that level although if it is a dedicated system (not dual fuel) you can go all out (cams, forced induction, etc) and pull some crazy numbers although it is rather uncommon especially in the commodore scene.

You can make mild mods with dual fuel setups, all the usual basic bolt-on stuff like CAI, throttle bodies, exhaust/headers, even high ratio rockers and manifold spacers. I did all this on an old VN V6 many years ago and she definitely had a lot more stomp than standard but always went harder on petrol. Never had backfires either although I was careful with my mix.

I'd assume you might be able to go a bit further with your mods with alloytecs though if they're running a injection LPG kit (which they should). Anyone done this?

Ah fair enough mate. As above, I don't know if its liquid or vapour injection LPG, but it doesn't lose power on the gas, which is awesome. I'll probably stick with the exhaust/OTR/tune for now, give it a bit more power. She's more of a cruiser than a power machine so I'll be happy with that