Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

0-100 time trial

T

tgolds1

hi all, i took my ute out tonight to see how quick i can get to 100km. it took me about 5 goes to get a decent run of 6.84 seconds. then the times just seemed to get better and better going from 6.80, 6.54 then finally a perfect 6.19s.

i have a 2000 vs 5ltr 5spd ute. has anyone else timed how quick they can accelerate? please let me know so i can compare how quick (or slow) mine is.

B

BLACK346

tgolds1 said:
hi all, i took my ute out tonight to see how quick i can get to 100km. it took me about 5 goes to get a decent run of 6.84 seconds. then the times just seemed to get better and better going from 6.80, 6.54 then finally a perfect 6.19s.

i have a 2000 vs 5ltr 5spd ute. has anyone else timed how quick they can accelerate? please let me know so i can compare how quick (or slow) mine is.

What mods you got to be getting those times and how
you timing it?

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
The only true way of timing a car is via a proper timing device (G-Tech, etc), by your watch is no good. You can be up to 2 seconds out by using a stop watch. I have a mate who has a 5.7 Litre, does 0-100kph in 7.9 seconds. So when I hear people in V6s doing 0-100kph in 7.9. I like to know also how they are timing it too.

Cheers,
Jim :cool:

Wombat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX-II Lumina Sedan
As long as you are doing this kind of thing on a quiet stretch of straight good road outside towns, and you aren't doing burnouts, I can't see anything wrong with this kind of testing, but yeah, getting the timing right is a bitch. You certainly can't do it yourself, and a mate in the passenger seat will be just as likely to stuff it up...it is a very difficult thing to get right.

As I started out saying...the law says 100 km/hr is the limit...but there ain't no law saying how fast you're allowed to get there!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Lol, actually im pretty sure you'd get pinned for taking off in a dangerous manner.

I timed three runs a while back, a mate in the back seat looking over my shoulder.. And I was getting around 7.2's.. Averaged over three runs.

Have to remember its not just the car, its the driver, the technique, the weight, the power, the traction, the tyres, the air temperature bla bla bla bla bla.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Not sure if this is true or not but I used to think that there was no law in how fast u take off so long as u don't bag em up, anyways I was told by someone that they knew someone who got done 4 noise pollution or something like that cos they caused exess and undue noise. Whether its true or not I dunno could be a crock.

Oh one last thing, please no one start posting about speeding or doing anything illegal on our roads. I would hate to have to delete this thread too. :ranting:

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I would love to say i could post mid 7 second 60 mph times, but i could watch titanic on the dvd player before i get there.... :rofl:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's not really possible to be more than .2 of second wrong with a stop watch unless you are seriously unco, that's how I test my car and I've practised starting and stopping the stop watch it against another stop watch and I can be within .1 of a second everytime. My Stock + CAI + modified VR memcal + smoothed throttle body Auto VN Lexcen can run 7.6 0-100 consitantly during a cold night, It's probably not as quick as my friends car that is also running almost the same chip but with a better CAI and extractors but it's quicker than almost all the other V6 commdores around my town that are extractorless (seems like almost flat 7's for a good VN with a good exhaust and good chip). It can also go straight to the the rev limiter with wheelspin whenever you put your foot down at above 40km/h in 1st gear on a slightly damp road with 225 g-grid tires (an idea of the mid range torque it's putting out). A cheap G-tech wouldn't be anymore accurate than a good stop watch, they used to time all sorts of sporting events with them in the old days after all : ). Also as long as you do this on lonely roads and don't have a loud exhaust there's no problem with the law

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
tgolds1 said:

That sounds a pretty good to me, my brothers executive sedan VS V8 manual would be somewhere between mid and high 6's, you would expect the Ute to be a bit quicker so yeah a low 6 sounds good. The lighter models of the VS V8's are only a touch slower than the VX gen III so mid 6's are a good time.

This page is well worth reading to see what cars can do what

http://www.jared.info/rpmonline/

B

BLACK346

greenfoam said:
That sounds a pretty good to me, my brothers executive sedan VS V8 manual would be somewhere between mid and high 6's, you would expect the Ute to be a bit quicker so yeah a low 6 sounds good. The lighter models of the VS V8's are only a touch slower than the VX gen III so mid 6's are a good time.

This page is well worth reading to see what cars can do what

http://www.jared.info/rpmonline/

Are you serious or taking the piss? A stock VX LS1
would absolutely smash the 5 litre. I think you will
find high 7's to low 8's is about the norm for a stock
5 litre. My old VN with custom exhaust would have
had no chance against my LS1, sure it felt fast at the
time, but I have no doubt stepping back into it now
would show just how slow it really was.