Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

0-100kmh Times

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
I can get most SS's off the line....... just because Impulse has a massive supercharger or whatever doesn't mean squat, you gotta get power to the ground, manage your weight correctly.....

6 seconds flat is very 'do able' in a 6......... a supercharger in a 6 is more top end power, more grunt throughout the overall rev range......... but off the line most will have trouble putting that massive power to the ground straight up.......

a fair amount of what you just said is correct, but not to the degree you're talking. and a supercharger gives torque down low, not just top end. But that's another argument entirely....

anyways, from my own experience and from countless vz drag times and 0-100 times etc, i don't doubt that your car is quick, but low 6's as i said is insanely fast.
And unless you can video it, i think you are slightly mistaken :)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
my vn turbo gtech runs never mind the 14sec run at 67mph LOL that was only 1st and 2nd gear ran out of road was off the throttle in 2nd at the end 5-7psi its hard to get into the 5's on the street with open centre and street tyres 5psi 14 in 2nd no 3rd.jpg

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
pft there's no way i'll ever video it, you gotta be an idiot to video that while your driving. I got VCM Scans ........ but it doesn't measure in exact milliseconds.

To be quite honest lets weigh it up. The VZ's suck overall........ their fuel injected, the throttle is hopeless and choppy which is also a reason for knock, the execs have fairly limited 4 speeds and the sv6's have a crappy beamer gearbox not designed to deal with more torque then what they put out stock. The stock intake is woful and could of been designed way better, the gear ratio on the diff is crap stock........ I mean really. The only good thing about the VZ's are they are brutal with torque with their cam setups........

The early model VE's are pretty good, again tho fuel injected....... mildly fixed the intake, the diff, the throttle........ but due to their difference in cam setup they cause the inlet penum to run hotter then a VZ by an average of around 6-10 degree's, their heavier.......... our manifolds in the VZ's actually get cold at night, the VE's dont so much.......... but perhaps thy are designed that way for a reason.

The VE's are better overall off the line due to their cam run up........ which gives nice power off the line to the limiter......... nothing magic but focused on getting the power to the ground more on VE's......... and there's also no stupid VE table, the cars ECU works that out for you based on your tuning parameters etc.....

To be quite honest.......... I think the SIDI is the bomb...... both the Omega and SV6, better gear ratio's, more gears = more power per gear, no fuel injector lag which is damn annoying....... direct injection is WAY more accurate so there's less variance in power on a hot day compared to a cold night.....

Personally I think the alloytech engine overall is the bomb, there's no much you can do with it......... I'd love to see a twin turbo V6 sidi or a V8 version of the alloytech engine.......

--------

But yeh 0-100........ 6 seconds done with the right tune....... so far only a 06 VZ Exec out of my tunes has been able to hit the mark, 05's......... utes, CTS, SV6 etc will run just over a 7.........

Also I personally dont care as much about 0-100......... but it's HARDER to get the power interval sorted into gear changes, so eg.......... if I'm at 55km/h and floor it, it'll run upto 6000rpm roughly and shoot from first gear.......... too much torque in alot of the tunes = no grunt, lower torque, more spark and a build = a bang.......

There's more then just foot to the floor.......... no good if someone rolls up beside you and guns it and you floor it, hit a weak spot n get owned. SV6's have less of a problem on that one having the extra gear mind you. 4 speed gear boxes unforunately get trapped by that. I'd never get a auto sv8 etc........ 4 speed with v8 powers is like constipation :D 6 speed manual sure but again......... VE's are better overall.

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
A stopwatch used well is way more accurate then a g tech meter, i used one of those on my old SSS pulsar and it told me i was running a much quicker time then the printout at WSID (Dragstrip)

Unfortunately your experiences with the Gtech Performance Meter doesn't sound too good :(

I have to advise that I have taken my Gtech to the track in both my current VZ Calais and my previous VL Turbo and it proved itself on several occassions to be fairly close to the track timers....within .1 or .2 of a second over the 1/4 mile. This .1 or .2 of a second was fairly consistent and this repeatable accuracy is enough to check any power gains on the street and be confident with the results.

I have no problems with a stopwatch. I used to use one 10 years ago before I got introduced to Gtechs. Each to their own, but I definetely recommend a Gtech over a stopwatch for accuracy, safer, repeatability of results, and software to download and compare many aspects of a run.

The first run on my picture in this post shows a 14.8 1/4. This may have been with a tailwind, great start without wheelspin, grippier road etc. But the others of 15.0 and 15.1 are probably more close to the truth. And with my Perth Motorplex printout which I have reading 15.3 for the 1/4 mile in my VZ Calais, I totally stand by the Gtech to be a good measure of performance and a fantastic instrument to buy :)

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
we're getting off topic here... clearly the point of this thread is that the OP probably has a problem of some sort, and yes, get it checked out.
Secondly, Gtech timers can probably be both accurate and rubbish in different circumstances, i personally wouldnt bother.

And thirdly, bigdaddycool is full of crap :) (thank you torana355)
End rant.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yes he has a problem hes useing a stopwatch LOL will find its way closer to factory spec than he thinks if he tested it with a better method

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Unfortunately your experiences with the Gtech Performance Meter doesn't sound too good :(

)

Not just me but all people that are at all serious about 1/4 mile and acceleration times will NEVER recommend a G Tech as they are rubbish as being out by .3 of a sec on a 1/4 run is HUGE!!! 15.3 is a great time for your Calais man congats, most standard SV6's struggle to get that, usually around the 15.5 mark and the SV6 is quicker then the Calais. I got a 14.8 out of mine but its tuned.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
g-tech are as good as the user of the g-tech my tech times match my strip times as long as you stage the same distance as the gtech is set at shes fine ive run mine down the track when you set the pitch factor on the gtech to match actual vehicle pitch and set the rollout at 12"s and stage shallow. even the old early versions the size of a matchbox were pretty damn accurate .good thing is if you drop a second on the gtech your gonna drop a second on the strip if it has the same traction great tuning tool

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
g-tech are as good as the user of the g-tech my tech times match my strip times as long as you stage the same distance as the gtech is set at shes fine ive run mine down the track when you set the pitch factor on the gtech to match actual vehicle pitch and set the rollout at 12"s and stage shallow. even the old early versions the size of a matchbox were pretty damn accurate .good thing is if you drop a second on the gtech your gonna drop a second on the strip if it has the same traction great tuning tool

They are only ever half decent when used on a 100% flat and smooth road. Any externally created G-force by undulations in the road WILL effect how they measure speed and distance.

abg

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 VZ v6
I'm not too worried about getting problems sorted in this thread, am really after 0-100 or 1/4 mile times for alloytec engines for a bit of comparison. Having said that I'll keep posting up findings as I go along as it could be of interest to someone? I have a code scanner/data logger being shipped at the moment, will see what that brings up. I've never taken a car to a mechanic and aren't about to start now :p