Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

01 Caprice

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Very professional looking can, better than a lot of aftermarket ones I've seen..only concern is the nylon filter material..I know my can gets way too hot to touch ,so will that nylon fish tank stuff stand the heat or melt to the bottom.?

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
We'll find out today when I've given it a really good long drive and check to see if the nylon has stood up to the heat. Or not..

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Well so far so good! The nylon fish tank filter material has stayed in shape over a day of traffic driving, so thats encouraging.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Brembo kit is on the fronts, and just finished bedding them in.

Cliff notes on brake installation/front wheel bearings:

DONT lose the wheel lock nut key. I had to destroy the lock nuts because I misplaced the lock nut key. But got them off after an hour of swearing (bashing a socket on them did not work so had to get much more violent..... Stupid me.)

The old calipers come off easiest by taking the two 12mm hex bolts off the back of the caliper slide pins and removing the upper caliper body, leaving the old pads and lower caliper still on the rotor. Then remove the lower caliper by cracking the two 19mm caliper mount bolts (they were not too bad)

Make sure you remove both slide pins on the new calipers (or existing ones) and re-grease BOTH the slide pins and check the rubber dust boots on the slide pins.

Anti-squeal grease lightly on the backings of the new pads.

To tackle the wheel bearings:

Removing the brake rotor makes the job much easier. They can be stuck on, so prepare to bash the jesus out of them to free them, or if you're lucky like me, you may find threaded jacking holes in the rotor hub to push the rotors off easily like I did.

There are three bolts holding the front wheel bearings on, from the back side (facing away from the outside of the car). They take a 10mm allen key female head. They are tighter than all unholy god to crack them off because they are factory thread-locked and access to them is an absolute pain, especially the topmost bolt.

Two of the allen bolts on the back of the wheel bearing are not too bad to take out. Bit hard to fit a large breaker bar in there, but its doable.
BUT the topmost allen bolt on the wheel bearing is obscured by one of the large bolts that clamps the lower strut. The bolt head is in close proximity and wont let you get to the last allen bolt on the back of the wheel bearing. You must remove this large strut clamping bolt (undo the nut on one side and tap it out with a drift) to then gain useful access to the allen bolt on the back of the wheel bearing and finally crack it loose.

Once the three allen bolts are out, the old wheel bearing itself is a tight interference fit. I tapped it out with a hammer and it came loose without too much of a fight (compared to the three allen bolts holding it in...)

Reinstallation is pretty basic and obvious.

Bedding the new pads & rotors in, I miraculously found a 10km stretch of road (at 5pm- peak hour believe it or not) that was straight and deserted. I made 12 panic stops from around 80kmh to 20kmh (never stopping completely, so the pads would not 'imprint' in one spot and make a heat spot on the rotor) until I could smell brakes and knew they were good and hot (my Brembo street pads say operating temps are from cold to 650C so I wanted/hoped to get them up to the 550C mark or thereabouts). I then continued to cruise for another 10 minutes at 100kmh to let the brakes cool back down. Upon stopping for a drink somewhere, I checked the brakes. They had worn in very uniform around the rotor, and on the outer 3mm edge of the rotor, I observed a consistent, light heat-blue ring right around the rotor, which tells me they got up to hot temps and they got worked hard enough to hopefully get a uniform pad material transfer all around the disc evenly (you want this).

There is no squealing or noises, the car will pull up in a straight line from 100kmh with me just lightly touching the wheel, to make sure it isn't pulling to one side at all. It tracks dead straight in a panic stop and it stops a great deal harder than it did with standard brakes. I'm very very happy and impressed.

For anyone who wants to do further research, David Zeckhausen has a really good write up & video on proper brake bed-in techniques here:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Just waiting on the rear rotors and rear wheel bearings to arrive from overseas, as I went with bigger, ventilated discs for the rears (standard is useless old solid non-vented rotors).

By the time this thing is done, it should be upgraded in a lot of ways over a standard WH, but it shouldn't advertise itself very much.
Also, while I was in there, I found that the car does not have the standard struts in it. Seems like the original owner has put these 'Monroe GT Sport' struts in the front end. I didn't know they were in there.

Last edited:

kangavxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX SS
Yes they should have better brakes from factory for the V8's at least (believe same brakes on standard exec??) so your on to a good thing.
Bigger brakes was on my next to do list but when i bought my new wheels i forgot to investigate if they support big brakes (clearances) and they dont (damn) so that will now wait
until i change wheels in the future some time..anyway my slotted rotors and braided safebrake lines pull me up OK and better than factory at least.
Monroe GT - mine packed in after only a couple years of easy driving, so changed to KYB...much, much better ride and handling..if you ever change them have a look at KYB but just keep
in mind that KYB have strengthened and more angled spring seats which reduce the wheel clearance and can foul some wheels if the offset of the wheel isnt right..Mine clear by 10mm so OK.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Yes they should have better brakes from factory for the V8's at least (believe same brakes on standard exec??) so your on to a good thing.
Bigger brakes was on my next to do list but when i bought my new wheels i forgot to investigate if they support big brakes (clearances) and they dont (damn) so that will now wait
until i change wheels in the future some time..anyway my slotted rotors and braided safebrake lines pull me up OK and better than factory at least.
Monroe GT - mine packed in after only a couple years of easy driving, so changed to KYB...much, much better ride and handling..if you ever change them have a look at KYB but just keep
in mind that KYB have strengthened and more angled spring seats which reduce the wheel clearance and can foul some wheels if the offset of the wheel isnt right..Mine clear by 10mm so OK.

Thanks for the info about the KYB struts. If the time comes and the Monroes pack it in, I'll do some research on the KYBs and see if they clear my wheels & tyres.

The standard brakes are all the same from V6 Executive up to SS and big weighty cars like the V8 Caprice. They were pretty average brakes on the base model V6 Executive, so imagine what 1650+ kg of V8 Caprice feels like to pull up... I guess that's why they felt Grange should get bigger brakes when they sold them.

Mine at least matches the best Grange had, with 343x32mm ventilated front discs, and 315x18mm ventilated rear discs with four piston calipers now. The Grange made 255 flywheel kw and weighed similar to mine (my Caprice may be a bit heavier due to more luxury equipment than Grange) so getting rid of the basic V6 Executive-esque brakes was really worth it.

Still yet to get the ventilated rear discs on, but I haven't had time to get round to them yet...

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Rear brakes are now on, and very happy with it.

Minor (but dramatic) issue was that the pads that were supplied with the rear discs were 1mm too thick. The calipers went over the pads fine, and it looked good. Took it around the block and the rear brakes were dragging like hell so I had to order different rear pads part numbers (still Brembo) and then it was fine.

While I had the wheels off doing brakes, I decided to sort out a minor vibration I was getting at times since I fitted the 19's. What it turned out to be was the hub bore of the mags being 73mm. And the hub on the car being 69mm. So the wheels were not spigoting onto the hubs tightly and not running dead true at times. They were only locating on the wheel studs, which meant they were very slightly off and all the vertical loads were being transmitted through the wheel studs only. Which in a heavy car like a WH, is bad.

I machined a set of hub rings up in the lathe:

20151216_175858_HDR_zpspoxxyxuh.jpg

Once I fitted these, any minor vibrations stopped, and the car cruises smoothly. And the wheels spigot onto the hub nice and firmly, with a tap-on, tap-off fit (with some never-seize applied for future removal)

I don't like seeing wheels being located by the wheel studs only. I have first hand experience with studs breaking on my Centura drag car from loading the wheel studs with road force.

A side educational note about why modern wheel nuts have tapered seats- road shear forces are supposed to travel vertically from the outer edge of the wheel toward the inner hub area. When these forces encounter the taper seat, this taper is supposed to convert a vertical shearing force across the stud (you hitting a bump) to a horizontal force displaced along the axial length of the wheel stud, by the design of the taper. Because wheel studs are stronger in tensile strength than in shear.
The precise angle of the wheel nut seat taper is then calculated by automotive engineers, to provide a secondary function- prevent loosening or the nuts backing off. Just like a Morse taper in a lathe tailstock tool, the right taper angle keeps the nut snugged up despite having to deal with vibration and road forces.

I know this because I'm a mechanical engineer by day.

Having the wheels transmit load through the centre hub spigot is preferential to loading the wheel studs, as the hub is stronger and has a more broad bearing surface, closer to the centre of the wheel bearing. Having the wheel snugly fit on the hub also has the advantage of keeping it running true with the hub, brake disc and wheel bearing. Runout is minimized in this way.

Stay tuned, I scored something else cool for the car last week!!

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hub locators rings
You didnt take off the wheels and notice before?
Dodged a bullet there.

Real shot to get off when need to chuck a spare on.

Good work with the brakes and all
Bet you be glad when all back together

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Yeah I ran these wheels with about 4mm of space between the hub bore sizes for a while- I put the wheels on when I bought them and then barely ever had to remove them. When I was doing the brakes it just clicked to go get the verniers and double check. And I'm glad I did.

I rubbed the rings and hub mating surface with anti-seize before fitting them, so hopefully they don't grab on next time I need to take a wheel off.

For a bit of time in the lathe (or probably 20 or 30 bucks if you don't have a lathe) it's definitely something I recommend.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Most aftermarket rim suppliers, when new, supply the locator rings.

Its usually after time and passed on from owner to owner they go astray