Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

07 ve sv6 mods

joshubraa

SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SV6
hey guys im new to this site seeing as tho im getting my first commo in 2 days.. :yahoo:
just wondering what are some cheap performance mods to start off with.. also wondering about the sound system and how much effort it is to put a sub in the back.. i know the battery is in the boot so power isnt an issue but as far as the rca and that there is no speakers in the parcel tray either??

any suggestions?

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
First suggestion would be to have a look through the car audio section for ideas. Also have a look through the VE section for mod ideas.

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
hey guys im new to this site seeing as tho im getting my first commo in 2 days.. :yahoo:
just wondering what are some cheap performance mods to start off with.. also wondering about the sound system and how much effort it is to put a sub in the back.. i know the battery is in the boot so power isnt an issue but as far as the rca and that there is no speakers in the parcel tray either??

any suggestions?

Hey mate, welcome.

A CAI could be your first port of call. Airhammer CAIs go for around $380 but I'm sure there are other brands as well that you could go for.

In terms of the sound system in VEs, as the head unit does not have any RCA outputs you have two options.

The first is to get your stock head unit modified and have RCAs fitted. If you want to go this way, you'd best get in touch with Phreddy on this forum.

The second option is to use LOCs to convert the high level signal to a low level so that you can connect up an amp and sub. If you choose this avenue, then you'll need to splice into the rear door speaker wires and run some cabling to the LOCs.

joshubraa

SV6
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 SV6
ok well that CAI sounds like the go.. if i got the black one would it be very obvious to a cop? seeing as tho the rules are no performance enhancing parts for P platers in nsw..
also would getting a straight through on the exhaust make much of a sound difference?

-SpydeR-

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
ok well that CAI sounds like the go.. if i got the black one would it be very obvious to a cop? seeing as tho the rules are no performance enhancing parts for P platers in nsw..

That's something I'm trying to weigh up at the moment as well. Is the CAI worth the risk of getting caught and fined, points?

I guess if you have a cop who knows his stuff, then even if it looks like its meant to be there, they'll be able to pick it out.

Jonesee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
I don't know how it works over there but here in SA aslong as the filter is not oiled and "venting" to atmosphere it's fine...

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
I don't know how it works over there but here in SA aslong as the filter is not oiled and "venting" to atmosphere it's fine...

If your CAI is "venting to atmosphere" you've got issues. Don't often see engines blowing air out the inlet manifold..... Catch cans can be vented though.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
You can get airhammers for $300 + heatshield is another $70, just tell the cop it was on the car when you bought it. I've got a prototype one that is obvious as bollocks (doesn't look stock at all) and cops have never had an issue with it.

As far as exhaust, best option without spending a fortune for a few kw's is to change the rear mufflers, redback mufflers are good, or pacemakers, I opted for pacemaker in stainless steel!
next replace the hotdogs/crimp section with straight through 2.25" pipe (i opted for stainless also) Shouldn't cost you no more than $500-$600 and will sound good. Can also go pacemaker headers, but that may be too obvious, cost me $300+$256 sterline coating and another $100 fitting.

Mace Spacers are a good mod also, very hard to spot, cost $130 for members, increase low down torque by around 10%

Last edited:

Jonesee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Ute
If your CAI is "venting to atmosphere" you've got issues. Don't often see engines blowing air out the inlet manifold..... Catch cans can be vented though.

Yes I see your point, and maybe I should have myself a little clearer.. Oiled filters may be seen as an issue due t the CFC's and chemicals that are in them etc.. But if it's in a box a cop won't even bother to have a lok let alone pop the bonnet unless he's real anal!

And I thought S.A was the defect state, sounds like you guys have it tough over the Eastern states!