Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

07 VE SV6, was the timing chain issue fixed in April/June of 07?

Jeebz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi peoples, I know this has been brought up a heap and ive done a lot of researching on this site and multiple other sites through google about the timing chain stretch on VE model commodores but just want clarification.

I just bought an 07 model VE SV6 6speed manual and from what Ive read is that this model year was affected by the issue but from what others have posted in some of the threads is that it was rectified roughly around April/June of 07 for that particular model when a stronger timing chain was introduced.

My engine no is a LY7 and comp date is November 2007 and its done 129,xxx km, would my car be affected by the timing chain stretching issue? I honestly can't find a solid answer.

Cheers.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
On that link I posted a list of engine numbers of the effected engines I can't at this point upload them to this thread , hope it helps,it certainly was use to me ,
actually here it is.

Attachments

• Scan0002 (2).jpg
    Scan0002 (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
if the car has been serviced reg... and flushed every time. it should be fine. with those engines. unless the oil is changed reg.. the oil jurnels get clogged and then the timing chain doesn't get any lubrication and then stretches.. i have known a few ppl with the ly7 engine and really look after there cars. and there timing chains are fine. so it depends on how well the engine is looked after to affect the chains. i did my chains. car wasnt looked after when i got it.. body yes... engine no. my chains cost me $2000 to do the 3 of them.in the 08 models they put a revised chain in it.. but i have seen even 2010 engine he had to get his chains done. so it all goes about how well u look after the engine. i did think is was strange for a 2010 to have chains done. as he told me the car gets serviced reg.