Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

08 Omega Ute rims and tyres

Crysis

Reaction score
Not that long ago I got myself a 2008 VE Omega Ute.
Make a long story short I had to pick the wife up from Bob Jane T-Mart.
The manager walked out to where I was parked and began to tell us that the rims we had one were wrong.
Basically he said that if we had an accident with these 18 inch rims on our insurance mob could just turn around and not cover us.
As he pointed out the the sedan and stationwagon had a rim rating of I think 90 and the actual Ute should be 91 or 92 not real sure of that number.

I can understand some saying he was trying to make a sale but after to got the new rims and tyres on it which were to the right rating and size.
Being 16 inch rims. And costing us just over $1000 but the ride had actually improved heaps now.
A friend who know one of the bosses at our local Bridgestone mob asked him if this was right.
To which he was told that our Bob Janes man was totally right.

I still am not fully sure if this is all as it is stated. But I know the ride has improved and the speedo is real close to being right now to.
And I feel it actually looks way better that it did with what it came with.
So can anyone tell me is this a load of crap or not. Either way I not fussed, as this is only for peace of mind.
Thanks to all who reply.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There should be a placard in a doorway on the 'B' pillar with all the relevant
wheel and tyre data applicable to your vehicle. It will mention the minimum
load rating for your wheels, front and back.

This is from my Maloo

2016-03-23 15.48.25 (Medium).jpg

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
SS and SV6 Utes are sold new with 18s and the 60th Ann SSV had 20" supersports.

What rims were on your ute and they should have a load rating marked on the inside. Both the tyre and rim load rating must met the tyre placard as Imoengnr has mentioned.

Mr Bob Jane guy may be right IF you had aftermarket parts but 18s are not illegal on VEs Utes.......

Last edited:

gd81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SII Sv6 Manual
Interesting that the rim also needs to meet load rating. Pity factory SII SV6/SS 18" Don't.

Tyres must be rated 100 (800kg) Yet the factory rims are only 750kg load.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
Interesting that the rim also needs to meet load rating. Pity factory SII SV6/SS 18" Don't.

So by what your saying is all series 2 SV6 and SS Utes are illegal out of the factory and don't met the ADRs. That can't be right......

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So the manager at the Bob Jane T-mart actually took your rims off, to determine the load rating of those rims was incorrect? The load rating of the rim is on the back side of the rim, so unless he physcially removed the rims, there is no way he could have known

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

All car manufacturers must adhear to all state requirements with rims and tyres....It's done before the car hits the production line

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
So the manager at the Bob Jane T-mart actually took your rims off, to determine the load rating of those rims was incorrect? The load rating of the rim is on the back side of the rim, so unless he physcially removed the rims, there is no way he could have known

For you or I that would be so, but for the manager at BJ's having seen the rims he is most likely well familiar with the rims load rating, and doesn't need to take them off having seen probably hundreds of them before.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
So by what your saying is all series 2 SV6 and SS Utes are illegal out of the factory and don't met the ADRs. That can't be right......

Maybe the reason is load rating of an Omega is different to an SV6 or SS and SSV. I searched and came up with this from LS1 website - this is referring to the payload capacity of the utes.
The Omega VE is 630kg on 17" steelies, SSV 550kg with 19's.

So most likely with the rims/ tyres on the OP's ute now the utes payload would be less. From legality viewpoint I guess the Omega ute is declared as a given payload, and the rims now reduce that so it doesn't comply with the specs for an Omega.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
That's true. Sounds the OP needs to post his omegas load rating or a pic of his tyre placard. Also a pictures on the load rating marked inside of his 18s. That will clear things up 100%