Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

08 VE Sv6 auto ute acceleration failure

Jazsx

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Commodore Ute Ve Sv6
Hi guys,
I bought an automatic 2008 VE Sv6 Ute and there's a strange issue where when I'm driving, occasionally as I put my foot down to accelerate, the car won't take off.
For example, if I'm driving in a 60 zone and it becomes an 80 zone, as i accelerate, the speed will remain 60 even if my foot is to the floor. The only solution I've found is if I released the throttle all together and accelarate again it will take off and work properly but this happens on average every 5 minutes or so.
Any ideas on what could cause this?
Cheers, Jarred.

G-Wizard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 6.0L V8
Hi, I am fairly new to the Holden world, but I had this issue with a previous Subaru. It had a bad knock sensor - once replaced no issues.

Jazsx

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 Commodore Ute Ve Sv6
Thanks mate, I'm still open to ideas as my mechanic explained replacing the sensor is around a $1500 job with labour and parts so I'm trying to narrow it down as best I can.
I appreciate the feedback.

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Would think you would get an engine code if it was the knock sensor.
Maybe check if the intake or maf needs cleaning?
I dont know if its anywhere near a BMW but a mates BMW had an issue when he put the pedal down it wouldn't rev or even sometimes drop the rev's, but if he kept the revs low it would drive OK (Was a hazard at stop signs lol). We swapped out the Maf sensor and now runs perfect.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I'd be leaning towards it being an issue either at the pedal (sender) or the throttle body (receiver) given that these are fly-by-wire engines.

SV6WGN

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SPORTWAGON
I'm keen to hear about this issue too... My sports wagon does exactly the same thing, Not as often as what you say yours is doing but every now and then... Mine also has a issue with random downshifts at odd times, I have been wondering if the ecu is seeing the wrong throttle position but havent had time to do any data logging yet.

Bill Dvdsn

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSVE Commodore Ute
I've had my SSVE ute for about five months and had a lag in acceleration, off the line
and at speed. Changed air filter to a K&N. Acceleration seems to be a lot smoother now.
Unexpected!! Even if it's Not the solution, it's cleanable and don't have to ever replace it.

SV6WGN

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 SPORTWAGON
I might have sorted my issue with this... I had brake lights stuck on and gearbox doing random down shifts as well as the throttle issue...
I pulled the brake pedal switch of and re adjusted it (there is only .5mm) and after doing so all my issues have gone thus far (600 km)
The switch is connected to the bcm so no wonder it doesn't know whats going on if it thinks your're on the brakes and wanting throttle at the same time! I loosened the switch got the mrs to depress the pedal and tightened it up again....