Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

09' VE R8 4 into 1 paceys on to 3" inch xforce

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE Clubsport R8 317/ VT Commodore exec 5 SPD
gday guys need a bit of help on wat type of cats i need for this set up. ive got the extractors and the catbaks already installed, ive bin told i need to weld one end of the custom cats to the extractors n the other to the catbak? or i can just chop the standard cats and it should fit straight on with also a bit of welding? really dunno wat to do. also wont this make it really hard for me to drop the engine l8r down the track for the cam??

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Ballistic high flow cats from Sureflo would be your best option, i had them on my ssv(which was cammed) & never had an issue with them quality & clearance wise. You'll need the 4inch bodied cats due your headers being paccies, whoever told you that you need to weld the cats to the headers & catback is a moron cause if you do that you'll stuff up either your engine or exhaust as the engine moves under acceleration. What you need are exhuast gaskets which would be welded onto the cats at either end, then all you need to do is bolt them on to the headers/catback by using bolts if your unsure just get a reputable exhuast/performance workshop to fit them.

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
awesome thanks for the advice m8, yea dont wanna drop any names but he never said anything about welding gaskets to the cats, he said weld the cats striaight to the headers/catbak which i thought wasnt very logical but i didnt know much to begin with so i didnt say anything. do u know if sureflo supply those gaskets i need by any chance?

scott w

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS and 2010 CX captiva
what i think hsv085 i trying to say is the cats are welded in place with a bolt up flange on the cat so it bolts directley to the pacies , greg at sureflo could sell you the flanges and gaskets as well as the ballistic cats .
he has a special on at the moment , i bought a couple a while back and they were about $160 each plus freight

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
what i think hsv085 i trying to say is the cats are welded in place with a bolt up flange on the cat so it bolts directley to the pacies , greg at sureflo could sell you the flanges and gaskets as well as the ballistic cats .

Yep thats what i meant, you will still need the gaskets as they sit inbetween the headers/catback & flanges on the cats.

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got told this by Sureflo exhaust :( i really didnt want to weld the exhaust together, looks like i have no other option...

If you look at the photos of our extractors, the cats are flanged in front as well as behind.

That way they can be unbolted front & back.

If you buy Pacemakers, they are not as tight to the engine as ours, and they finish 50mm past the end of your cat. The cat back exhaust system bolts to your standard cat, therefore if the extractors are longer, the system has to be modified to make them fit. The system is already 50mm too long to fit to Pacemakers, yet there is still no cat fitted. They then have to cut the system and make a cat fit somewhere.

Pacemakers finish 50mm into the front of my cat, and my cat is a special short one. Look behind my cat and you will see the gearbox cross member and there are also bolts hanging down. The cat has to be lower than all of these otherwise it rattles. So with Pacemakers, you are limited to the 4” body, and they hang low and are speed hump fodder.

With Pacemakers, there is no room for extra flanges, otherwise it hangs down even lower, so the cats have to be welded into the cat back exhaust system. Then nothing will fit it. It will always be custom.

With our extractors and cats, any cat back sports system will fit without modification.

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just got told this by Sureflo exhaust :( i really didnt want to weld the exhaust together, looks like i have no other option...

If you look at the photos of our extractors, the cats are flanged in front as well as behind.

That way they can be unbolted front & back.

If you buy Pacemakers, they are not as tight to the engine as ours, and they finish 50mm past the end of your cat. The cat back exhaust system bolts to your standard cat, therefore if the extractors are longer, the system has to be modified to make them fit. The system is already 50mm too long to fit to Pacemakers, yet there is still no cat fitted. They then have to cut the system and make a cat fit somewhere.

Pacemakers finish 50mm into the front of my cat, and my cat is a special short one. Look behind my cat and you will see the gearbox cross member and there are also bolts hanging down. The cat has to be lower than all of these otherwise it rattles. So with Pacemakers, you are limited to the 4” body, and they hang low and are speed hump fodder.

With Pacemakers, there is no room for extra flanges, otherwise it hangs down even lower, so the cats have to be welded into the cat back exhaust system. Then nothing will fit it. It will always be custom.

With our extractors and cats, any cat back sports system will fit without modification.

That is the biggest BS ive ever read, i had Pacemaker 1 7/8 headers with the Ballistic 4inch bodied cats into a twin 3inch KPM catback. When i bought the cats they came without any flanges so were affectively universal to fit any car, i had my mechanic fit the whole lot up & there was plenty of clearance between the headers & catback.

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
so what do i do HSV085?? majorly confused now. does the kpm catbak bolt up the same as the xforce catbak? was that mayb why u were able to fit the paceys?

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
so what do i do HSV085?? majorly confused now. does the kpm catbak bolt up the same as the xforce catbak? was that mayb why u were able to fit the paceys?

Sorry mate wasnt having a go at you, the KPM & Xforce catbacks finish in the same spot. My suggestion would be to go see my mechanic Gary who owns Chevs Performance centre in Carrum Downs, his exhaust builder did all the exhaust work on mine & tucked up the cats nice & high to minimise scraping.

shdai

Reaction score
Members Ride
na na i understand, everyones entitled to their own opinion i guess lol, carrum downs is a bit far as im in upper melbourne but if i find a weekend free, ill defs consider the trip cos i wanna get the system in asap. in the mean time ill scout out other exhaust joints around my area and see wat they say. thanks for all the help m8.