Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1/4 mile times V HP

TAILS83

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I went the drags the other day and ran a 13.6 @102mph in my vz ss A4.

I have a mafless tune 308rwhp (230rwkw) with full exhaust and ziggy OTR. I was happy with this but wanted a low 13 sec quarter.

So I went and put some 3.7's in and the best I could do again was a 13.6 @ 105mph so this time I'm disappointed.
Both times my 60ft times were 2.1 so I'm thinking it's my cheap 18in tyres not giving me the grip I need.

What times are others getting with similar mods, HP, mph etc. just to compare what times I should be able to get.

Cheers.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Definitely tyres if you did the same 60" with a gear set change.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
18's really aren't great for getting a car out of the hole.

In reality ET's have less to do with HP and more to do with gearing and traction as you've discovered. MPH is more of a reflection of true HP.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
In reality ET's have less to do with HP and more to do with gearing and traction as you've discovered.

Also torque.

OP, the HP figure is just one measurement at the extreme end of your rev range which tells you little about the torque curve.

Try getting some 15's on there and look for a tyre that gives you a smaller diameter than the 18's you currently have, will make it much easier for the car to take off.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Put something on with more sidewall and you will get more traction. Get your 60' time down to around 1.8ish and you will see a huge improvement on your ET. But 2 seconds is about average for street tyres.