Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1.6i Whipple + 304 = 300 - 320rwkw.... possible?

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
Engine will see mostly weekend and rare/mild track use (drift practise)

If so what internals, compression, cam & psi would be needed? And how high will it need to rev?

Are there any members/workshops who have done this?

Want low to mid power, and no lumpy cams/idle or narrow powerbands.

ps: already have exhaust, diff, box, clutch, cooling, susp etc sorted.

always appreciate help. Thx

SLE 500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
I was contemplating the same but with Eaton m112.
For 300kw around 10psi running e85 considering its a weekender.
Crow make a boosted cam profile for the 304 for a twin screw.
The beauty of twin screw as opposed to turbo or centrifugal is you dont need high revs to make power. You could leave the bottom end alone. Forged pistons would be better but crank and rods could stay as is. I know people running 300kw boosted with standard internals. Comp stay under 9:1.
Any more than 10psi and you'd have to look at intercooling or meth injection. E85 helps in this aspect as it cools intake charge preventing detonation.
Get itidium plugs and close the gap around .3mm. The clutch will have to be heavy or brass button. It will make lots of torque down low.
If its a DIY post photos of progress. It has been done, from memory a workshop in Perth used to do it.

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
I was contemplating the same but with Eaton m112.
For 300kw around 10psi running e85 considering its a weekender.
Crow make a boosted cam profile for the 304 for a twin screw.
The beauty of twin screw as opposed to turbo or centrifugal is you dont need high revs to make power. You could leave the bottom end alone. Forged pistons would be better but crank and rods could stay as is. I know people running 300kw boosted with standard internals. Comp stay under 9:1.
Any more than 10psi and you'd have to look at intercooling or meth injection. E85 helps in this aspect as it cools intake charge preventing detonation.
Get itidium plugs and close the gap around .3mm. The clutch will have to be heavy or brass button. It will make lots of torque down low.
If its a DIY post photos of progress. It has been done, from memory a workshop in Perth used to do it.

Do you know the part no. of that cam? I cant find it on there site...

Im assuming the 1.6i whipple is smaller then the m112 (= 1.8i?) I'm trying to find out if it'll hold me back, as I wish to avoid the 2.4i whipple as its too expensive and seems to large for what I want.

do u know if the 1.6 whipple is a compressor, or a pump style s/c?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I'd be looking at a turbo on the stock bottom end. TK383 on AV8 outlined a relatively stock setup with a single turbo, stock gears and stock converter that would make 300rwkw or so pretty easily. I can't remember whether that was with old style heads or VN heads though. Might be worth doing a bit of a search.

SLE 500

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE
Don't know the cam code but call them and they can fill you in on designs.
Like EYY said, id go turbo for price and simplicity. Twin screw blowers are cool as f, but not easy to engineer. With a typical Garrett 35/82R you can make 300kw and boost will come on early and steadily enough.
But if you want it to be different, blower is the go.

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
I'd be looking at a turbo on the stock bottom end. TK383 on AV8 outlined a relatively stock setup with a single turbo, stock gears and stock converter that would make 300rwkw or so pretty easily. I can't remember whether that was with old style heads or VN heads though. Might be worth doing a bit of a search.

thx, ill look into it... you wouldn't have a link or what to search under... was TK383 the author of the thread?

Don't know the cam code but call them and they can fill you in on designs.
Like EYY said, id go turbo for price and simplicity. Twin screw blowers are cool as f, but not easy to engineer. With a typical Garrett 35/82R you can make 300kw and boost will come on early and steadily enough.
But if you want it to be different, blower is the go.

thx... I can't see how a turbo setup would be cheaper then a blower, but ill definitely investigate since my engine will be coming out anyway

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
#################/holden-v8s/23002-300rwkw-n-aus-5lt-6.html

There you go mate. TK is a very highly regarded engine builder.

Edit, replace the #'s with the av8 web address. looks like it's blocked on here.

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
#################/holden-v8s/23002-300rwkw-n-aus-5lt-6.html

There you go mate. TK is a very highly regarded engine builder.

Edit, replace the #'s with the av8 web address. looks like it's blocked on here.

Appreciated, thankyou

Jake145

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv ute, A6 6.0
Superchargers are so cool but its not overly common in drifting not just because they use power to run but man after you pull it down and rebuild it the difference in bearing wear compared to turbo is astonishing, but can definantly see where your coming from, who wants to run oil line cooler lines etc when you can just throw a blower on and go... Well kinda lol