Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vlbrockyowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl commodore, holden hj kingswood vacationer II,

Last edited:

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
mate! that seems like too good of a car to restore! you ever restored a car before? be such a shame if this went down the path of 60% of all other projects:

strip it down
realise how hard it is
sell it for scrap

think realllly carefull about whether you wanna actually do this. there are loads of ways of tidying it up without stripping it. start with the engine bay. you can have the guards off in an afternoon, sand the inners back and hit them with black paint, then re assemble. after you achieve this itll give you a better idea of whether youre cut out for it or not.

just sayin'. you can tell me to get fked if you want.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Where is minor surface rust? If its not too bad a guy in my club actually polished off the surface rust stains. It can seep through the paint. Problem solved.

Restoring a car 100% properly requires a huge investment of time, money and above all space. I restored the VB piece by piece, in a 'rolling' fashion. I didn't strip it down; firstly make a list of any mechanical/trim defects it has and get those done as money/time becomes available. Good thing about this in between repairs you can still drive it and its not lying about in pieces. Downside is it will never be 100% perfect and it will probably never be concourse/throphy winner quality, but it'd be good enough to be 'condition 1'.

The body might be a killer. The respray on the VB in 2k was $6k (also involved removing all dents), the rust repairs (lower rear 3/4, boot floor and front cowl) was $1500 plus the panels I supplied (got these from rare spares). Unless you are good at welding and painting and want to tackle it yourself.

Big tip is - if the car is in original lacquer, if you ever get a panel repair done and need to paint it, either get the whole car done in 2k, or find a shop that can do it in lacquer. 2k and lacquer paint colours will never match under all lighting conditions.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
There are a few h series Holden's coming onto this forum now... And a lot of p platers have them bow too, Not a bad thing, perhaps we should get our own section???

From the pics she looks alright, not a bad start and prolly better on rust than mine.

Perhaps leave the ratty look with a flake took in the same color, cos awesome!!!

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

Don't ruin a good story with the truth.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
one of my favorite rusty roofs belongs on a H-series:

BYwyg.jpg

Hq_Tree_Crop01.jpg

IMG_1356_crop.jpg

IMG_1372_crop.jpg

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Haha Morton's 3 tonne silent q ball! Has anyone heard from that fella?

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\

vlbrockyowner

Reaction score
Members Ride

Last edited:

vlbrockyowner

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry ment mortons hq

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I love the bench with the armrest, I must find one!!!
So what's the plan? Restore, mod?

__/ ][ \__
~O-----O\