Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

10 PSI upgrade without tune?

vagure5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
Hey,

Recently I wanted to get a 10 psi upgrade installed without a tune as the tune costs around $800. Chipmaster said that without a tune the timings will be off and it will be detonating on the knock sensors. They won't do a 10 psi upgrade without a tune. Also its going to cost $1500 in total for the 10 psi (overnight needed to change pulley) and minimum of 1 day to tune the car. Does this all sound right to you guys? Are any of you guys using a 10 psi pulley and haven't had your car tuned?

Thanks for all your help in advance :)

Pete

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
10 psi & untuned it will ping badly
listen to Daniel he knows about this stuff.lol

Rob

vagure5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
Just making sure. Can't be too careful :)

danielsan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 SS 5.7/A4
mines running a 86mm pulley (10psi) untuned on petrol no worrys, but i also have done rockers and CAI.

theres many people out who've done the same without a tune and have trouble free motoring!

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
I know of other people that have 10 PSI pullys on L67's without a tune and they run fine... It depends on other supporting mods, whether you have extractors, rockers, exhaust and what fuel you use.

I've read 10 PSI is quite safe with 98 Octane fuel and the stock tune and quite a few people have done it. But obviously the tuner you spoke to doesn't want to gamble with your engine by fitting a smaller pulley for you and leaving it stock.

The best thing is to ask around and do searches for other forums with "L67" in the url to get more specific help.

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
They do run but they will be running hard on the knock sensor and lets face it a super 6 on 10 psi untuned is still pretty slow anyway it will be much faster tuned, but for 800 bucks, ah I'm not so sure about that, especally for something that he will have ready to burn :)

vagure5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX2 S
Maybe I just need to find a place in WA that does cheaper tunes? Anyone got any places they recommend? Then again I did hear that chipmaster are the best around....

stockvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT1 S/C 3.8 S Pack
I have run a 10psi pulley without a tune no problems. I always use 98 octane fuel. And have fitted a hsv exhaust. no other mods.
There is an improvement in performance, but not massive.

I tried a 12psi pulley for fun (no tune) with alittle octane boost and still no problems. but this time huge improvement in performance.whoo hooo!
I am Happy.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
mines running a 86mm pulley (10psi) untuned on petrol no worrys, but i also have done rockers and CAI.

theres many people out who've done the same without a tune and have trouble free motoring!

daniel when is my snail racing your winey bitch (hehehe it wines)

Surfwagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
AMG Mercedes C63 Wagon
I ran mine untuned for nearly 12 months with YT 10pis upgrade pulley and snout/1.8 RR's/1 5/8 extractors and cat back 2 1/2" zorst and 81degC thermostat and when I finally got it tuned I went from a base line of 168.3rwkw all the way to 171.8, a gain of a miserly 3.5rwkw for $750 and the guy was really honest saying that there wasn't much to change as the computer had already compensated for most of it.
Just make sure you run a cooler thermostat (81)and always use good quality 98 fuel (BP Ultimate or Mobil 8000).
Don't go colder than 81 on the thermostat because the engine will keep running on the cold start up settings (again can be tuned out).
The computers in these things of ours are pretty good out of the box and if anything run too rich standard so as long as you stay under 10psi no probs and besides going over 10psi usually loses kw's as the knock retard comes into play.
Go to the FIT website as they have a pulley test done on their XU6 showing how power drops off as boost climbs over 10.5psi.
http://v6supercharged.com.au/workshop.asp?ProjectID=1

LOL Col.