Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

100 % Octane in VS Ute.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
ive been using united 100 in my old car and yes guys i wouldnt recommend it to anyone i wouldnt even touch it as its burnt out my injectors and ####ed up my fuel pump same goes with e85 only diffrence is i used to buy it from america in the barrel e85 is 110 octane from memory with 70 to 85 % ethanol as its been clinicly tested. just use premuim from bp and if u want the extra oumph just use the octane booster to boost it too 100 without having ethanol is it. As for petrol prices there going to hit sky high very soon so lpg is the go if ur on a cheap budget which some of u guys are in here, only thing is it burns more leaner then any other fuel
LMAO! It won't 'burn out' injectors or a fuel pump. That was caused, more then likely, by the fuel system not being up to scratch to handle the requirements of ethanol based fuels.
Barrel stuff is always 85%, the reason you buy it by the barrel is for consistency.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
ive been using united 100 in my old car and yes guys i wouldnt recommend it to anyone i wouldnt even touch it as its burnt out my injectors and ####ed up my fuel pump same goes with e85 only diffrence is i used to buy it from america in the barrel e85 is 110 octane from memory with 70 to 85 % ethanol as its been clinicly tested. just use premuim from bp and if u want the extra oumph just use the octane booster to boost it too 100 without having ethanol is it. As for petrol prices there going to hit sky high very soon so lpg is the go if ur on a cheap budget which some of u guys are in here, only thing is it burns more leaner then any other fuel

as said above, old gear (fuel pump, hose etc etc) will not like having any ethanol put through them, not all fuel pumps will handle alcohol, e10 is usually ok as it's only 10% ethanol but can still cause problems if the hoses and pump are old.
I'm not sure about other people but i put the fuel pump into a category of routine maintenance, simply if it's old and/or unknown kms i replace them, it's one of those things that you know wears out so whats $60-$80 every 2-3 years compared to being broken down in the middle of no where?

I'd dare say the injectors would have survived if the pump, filter and hoses were upto scratch.

I even know people that have specifically asked for alcohol resistant fuel hose and been sold hose that broke down from the alcohol and clogged the rest of the fuel system up......

As for lpg, that price is only going to increase, unless you purchase a car already converted, the daily driver isn't going to save much at all.
Personally i clock up over 600 km's a week, running pulp 98 from memory was costing $80 a week, with lpg i'm saving $30 a week at $0.70 p/litre of lpg.
With the cost of most systems and install then a whole $1000 rebate, unless you plan on keeping a car for a very long time it's not going to save a cent.

Another thing to note is in the next couple of years there are only XX amount of rebates available per year, so if XX number of people get their cars converted before you......... you miss out on the $1000 to help out offset the cost...... damn can't find the printout, but i know it's $1000 for 2013, i think it drops to $700-800 for 2014...

Last edited:

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Servo e85 is perfectly fine. It doesn't fluctuate like it used to. I've seen plenty big powered cars drive into united and drive out perfectly fine. Whilst laying big numbers at the track

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Servo e85 is perfectly fine. It doesn't fluctuate like it used to. I've seen plenty big powered cars drive into united and drive out perfectly fine. Whilst laying big numbers at the track
United is ok (provided it's not tuned to the edge) but the Caltex stuff is a variable content based on season.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
as said above, old gear (fuel pump, hose etc etc) will not like having any ethanol put through them, not all fuel pumps will handle alcohol, e10 is usually ok as it's only 10% ethanol but can still cause problems if the hoses and pump are old.
I'm not sure about other people but i put the fuel pump into a category of routine maintenance, simply if it's old and/or unknown kms i replace them, it's one of those things that you know wears out so whats $60-$80 every 2-3 years compared to being broken down in the middle of no where?

I'd dare say the injectors would have survived if the pump, filter and hoses were upto scratch.

I even know people that have specifically asked for alcohol resistant fuel hose and been sold hose that broke down from the alcohol and clogged the rest of the fuel system up......

As for lpg, that price is only going to increase, unless you purchase a car already converted, the daily driver isn't going to save much at all.
Personally i clock up over 600 km's a week, running pulp 98 from memory was costing $80 a week, with lpg i'm saving $30 a week at $0.70 p/litre of lpg.
With the cost of most systems and install then a whole $1000 rebate, unless you plan on keeping a car for a very long time it's not going to save a cent.

Another thing to note is in the next couple of years there are only XX amount of rebates available per year, so if XX number of people get their cars converted before you......... you miss out on the $1000 to help out offset the cost...... damn can't find the printout, but i know it's $1000 for 2013, i think it drops to $700-800 for 2014...
Depends on the pump setup, I would be up for over $600 in pumps:s Not really 'routine maintenance'.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
United is ok (provided it's not tuned to the edge) but the Caltex stuff is a variable content based on season.

I've also know people who use it an say that the difference isn't all that much.

And like you said, unless its a race car it should always be slightly rich.

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
The E85 difference isn't that much in say a stock SS.. E85 only becomes great in boosted application or when you're running higher compression.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I've also know people who use it an say that the difference isn't all that much.

And like you said, unless its a race car it should always be slightly rich.
I have seen the Caltex as low as high 60's.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Depends on the pump setup, I would be up for over $600 in pumps:s Not really 'routine maintenance'.

Unfortunately most are still a routine maint object (be it a few years between changes)

Most pumps are still a dc motor with brushes, the carbon brushes & copper commutator both wear out (50/50 chance at what goes first)..... technology has been around for years to create a brushless electric motor but like all things these days, not made to last, easy money for the manufacturer to build something basic and sell it more often......