Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

10second quarter for under 5-10grand................hopefully

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
I was thinking a big front sway bar would help to keep the front straight and true down the track?
Adjustable upper control arms sound like a winner. I might have to look into those. Thanks.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Anyone know what size (dia.) "long" wheel studs suit a VN commodore?
They have to be 3" (?) long, and *should be fitted to cars that run faster than 11.99

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Something else arrived for this today: (they are NEW, they have just been sitting in a shed for a couple of years - hence the dust)

Also scored a full sheet (2400x1200) of 5mm alloy plate from work - for nothing. That'll help to make my dash, etc.

Bought a heap of buttweld piping off ebay too. Gonna make up my own log manifolds - as soon as someone sells me an ecotec!

Then there will have to be a bit of saving while I rebuild the motor, throw a heap of ARP gear at it, and get a MACE reverse plenum.

Looking at getting an alloy big radiator for this too. Anynoe bought a decent (cheap) one - I tried looking on ebay, but they all appeared to be the standard width?

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
If anything, I would piss the front swaybar off and run a small one at the back.
If you are going to have some power and achieve traction, the less resistance you have to lift at the front, leaves more weight to be transferred over the rear.

My 2 cents.

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Looking at getting an alloy big radiator for this too. Anynoe bought a decent (cheap) one - I tried looking on ebay, but they all appeared to be the standard width?

Keep your costs down and run a stock radiator. Will do the job.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if you want to do it cheap and reliable buick it .will take 15psi all day and still be alive for the next drag meeting LOL we havnt even touched suspension yet really apart from ditching the front sway bar which is debatable on if it may have actually slowed us down .suspension is being done now adjustable upper arms boxed lowers and all new nolathanes and we have a pile of springs for testing once the suspension is sorted we should see 10's we have the MPH to do 10's

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for the reply delco.

I have decided to go with adjustable uppers, boxed lowers, and a full bushes kit (eBay is awesome) as well.
I have my heart set on an Ecotec for a few reasons:

Reversable plenum
Better port design
& cheap as F____ SPOOL rods. ($650 a set - that's crazy talk)

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
So small update.

I just bought a full set of nolathane bushes for the VN, as well as a set of nolathane adjustable strut tops.
Earlier I also bought a turbo blanket, 30mtr's of exhaust heat-wrap, and an inline billet fuel filter.

The missus has decided that she is going to kill me, which is nice.

I already have at home 6mtrs of 2.5" mild-steel exhaust tubing, & 6mtrs of 3" exhaust tubing.
I will be using the 3" stuff for the entire exhaust. So it'll be 3" from the turbo back, and I will finish it just prior to the diff with the stainless turbo muffler I bought the other day.

I have also bought some ARP torque converter, & ARP flexplate bolts for the motor (when I find one!). As I've had a torque converter 'fall-off' twice now on me.

Spending will start to slow down now, as the missus really is on a rampage!
But that doesn't mean progress will cease. I still have to rub it all back, patch a couple of little dings, weld up/ cut-off the bits I no longer need, and get it painted.
Hopefully the funds will allow me to cage it, before it gets painted.

I'm going to try to get my ute back on the road on the weekend, went and grabbed a whole new diff for it the other day. So i'll swap that in, rebuild the inlet manifold, throw in the 42lb injectors & the Walbro fuel pump, finish fitting the shiftkit, and hopefully get my mate to come around and weld-up the exhaust for me.

Eventually I will get the supercharger mounted, but first I will need a custom tuned J3 chip for the computer.

I think I might even pull down the VN's diff on the weekend if I get time. I will fit the 3.73 diff gears and minispool, put new oil in it, and give everything a clean and a lick of paint.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
New stuff turned up for this yesterday:

Turbo blanket, 1350degree exhust heat wrap, a billet in-line fuel filter (cos it was cheap), and a whole heap of flanges.

Got a great discount on some seamless tube for the rollcage - so one of my mates (metal fab'er) is going to bend/notch & weld that in over the next few months.
I finally got my sandblaster working again - so when the weather piks up I'm going to sand blast the entire underside, interior, engine bay and boot - in preparation for a lick of paint.

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost forgot!

Went to the wreckers around the corner after work the other day to grab a VN dashpad.
However I ended up scoring this for $20:

Going to fill the entire exposed upper section with a piece of 5mm ally sheet, and mount my gauges and rocker switches in there.

Gonna look sweet.

Also, where the VR door vents went has created a perfect area for the rollcage down tubes to sit :)

Also, I'm still looking for an ECOTEC and 4spd auto. As per this thread:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/swap-wanted-buy-trade/169465-wtb-complete-ecotec-auto-box.html

Despo has a really good one - but I can't really afford to pay what he wants for it.
Looking for something complete, but to suit a rebuild.

Cheers guys,

Steve.