Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$125 per defect

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
State Cabinet will soon debate removing police officers' discretion to issue a caution for minor defects without issuing fines.
SA Police do not want to be forced to issue a minimum $125 fine for every minor defect, such as a blown bulb.

They now have the power to caution motorists and direct that defects are fixed immediately without a fine which, they say, engenders goodwill.
Budget papers show the Government expects to reap an estimated $7.88 million over three years from the move.

Cabinet must choose between a compromise deal worked out by the Transport Department and police, in which police would be allowed some discretion but the Government would receive less revenue, or agree to the original proposal to withdraw their discretion.

Spokespersons for the Transport Department, Treasury and Transport Minister Pat Conlon have denied the Government wanted to remove discretion from police but Transport Department chief Rod Hook admitted to the Budget and Finance Committee last month that this was the original proposal.

The government uses road safety as a form of revenue collection. This is no different. Good on those Police who are speaking up about this. Will every government vehicle that takes to the road with a blown globe also receive such fines?

It is also of no surprise to see the Minister for Transport is the same as the Minster for Treasury. Inextricably linked?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
wait. you can get away with it if you fix it immediately. im not sure about you, but i dont carry spare light bulbs in my car?

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
cool i'll start towing a trailer with me every where i go that will hold spare springs, wheels, lights etc etc

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
wait. you can get away with it if you fix it immediately. im not sure about you, but i dont carry spare light bulbs in my car?

Doesn't hurt to have spares...

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
cool i'll start towing a trailer with me every where i go that will hold spare springs, wheels, lights etc etc

Haha reminds me of my mates grandfathers GQ patrol, he carries everything you can think of even a spare gearbox so his 3 tonne car is prob 4t

ciddyau

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore
Please, I got a defect plus a $300 fine for having camber wear

Vic- The place to be defected

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
How? Vic pol dont issue fines for defects.. you must have said something to piss him off..

aZk.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
Don't drive with bald tyres then. I bet you had belts showing.