Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

12v power from roof?

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Hi all,

My new dashcam arrived, I've worked out that it has an internal battery and only needs to see 12v on the adapter to start/stop recording (also to charge). In the Caprice I have the auto-wipers and also auto-dimming rear mirror so I am hoping that either of these will have a 12v I can pull from.

Before I go pulling out the headlining I was wondering if anybody else had any recommendations?

decromin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V International
I believe removing the head lining is a bugger of a job - might be simpler to run a tap from behind the dash, run it up the A pillar, then tuck the cable behind the lining without removing it all.

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
I installed a dash cam a few months ago.
I mounted it behind the rear-view mirror.....it makes it almost impossible to see with the camera mounted to the little black dots on the windscreen. Its a small camera (B40 / A118).
I ran the power supply under the roof lining and down the drivers side pillar, then across to the centre console area. The spare cigarette plug (for the smokers pack) was easy to find and easy to connect to using 2xfemale insulated spade connectors pushed onto the Brown + and Black -'ve plug pins. I also found that the plug is fused in the front footwell....fuse #13 (20Amp)

Avi8or

Luxo-barging
Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice 6L
Perfect, that's what I ended up using quite well. Ran the cable down behind the door rubber, then through the back of the glovebox and around to the smokers pack connector.