Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

15-17 year old Holden V8 Utes - Future Value

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I'm seriously contemplating to look out for a original well maintained V8 Holden or HSV ute. Budget $5000-$10,000.

Something I'll store away and drive weekends if at that.

There has been a lot of talk because of Holden discontinuing their Australian manufacturing that old Aussie muscle will be sought after. I don't intend to make heaps of money, but something that will hold its value and appreciate over the next decade a little. Something that I can sell again and not really loose out. Insurance is cheap, about $450 at my age.

Reason for a ute variant not a sedan is because it also adds some practicality which would come in handy for those odd times I need to transport something.

I wanted to discuss with you, which utes would be the better buys to hold their value? Lots of internet articles about HSV and Holden V8 sedans and Monaro coupes, but not much on utes it seems.

I am in no hurry. Be it next month or a year. More so after something well maintained and original.

I might do 5000km a year, so any advice on how many overall KM's the ute should have would also be appreciated. I can see a lot with over 200,000km but the ones at 150,000km are also out there (usually modded) and the ones closer to 100,000km are not so easy to find (I'm in WA so have limited choice compared to over east).

Also engines, I understand the utes I am after do not have the 5.0 Aussie V8 but the 5.7 Chevy V8. Will that be an issue?

PS
I wish I bought my brothers years ago when he was selling a 2001 SS for $6000.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
After reading your other thread, if your primary interest is to buy an investment, don't waste your time. You'd be looking at decades before they reach any good value, and it won't really be that much particularly if you get something super common like a SS. Not really going to happen or maintain value over the next 10 years anyway.

Instead of asking what kind of model will increase in value the most, why don't you just buy something you want.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
Because the aim is to find out what's sought after and what isn't. I am in no hurry to get this car. The hunt and learning is 80% of the fun.

Reaction score
Website
www.badgerbadgerbadger.com
Members Ride
VEII SV6
Probably wouldn't be worth the money it cost to insure, fix up and/or maintain over the decades you plan on owning it. Your money would be better spent fixing up a low km Monaro and garaging it for the next 30 years.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
its a V6 with a badge. If they had an inherent value they would be more expensive now!

As above buy the car you want to enjoy, by all means keep it for as long as you want, you may get lucky and it may increase in value, it may not too, but at least you enjoyed it!

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
waste.png

H

harrop.senator

Vs maloo or ss fifty would be my pick as both have seemed to stop losing money.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I did some cals. If I get a fifty SS under 100,000km its going to cost me about $11k-$12k.

Over 10 years, another $10k to keep it on the road.

So about $20k-$22k over ten years. The car would need to gain $10k over 10 years. Not seeing it....