Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

15.2 @ 92mph unopened V6

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

did a 6.918sec 0-60mph :w00t: this morning but still can only get a 15.2 1/4mile @91.4mph. can't get better then a 2.3sec 60ft time. i'm lacking traction big time:bang: me thinks that i've maybe got to drop a few psi from the tyres cause i've got them inflated with about 30psi for highway driving and do a huge burnout to get em nice and sticky. also think i've gotta rev 1st gear out more(maybe to 5200rpm, i'm currently changing about 4800rpm), the Gtech power graph shows i'm changing gear before i hit peak power in 1st. gotta get that 14sec pass now.

just re-installed my sata HD, last time the driver died and gave me the blue screen of death (so far so good with the new driver) from my old data files i have found my 1st gtech runs before most of my mods, with the single spinner diff and 17" wheels i was getting a 2.4-2.5sec 60ft time, the LSD with 14" wheels have only dropped it by .2 sec and i was launching with about 2000rpm with a little wheel spin. definitly need better rubber to improve the 60ft time

Last edited:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Congratulations on the 6.9 :) I make 2.15s in my vp at the track, 2.3s sounds ok for a V6 but I think you should really be in the 2.2s in a manual. 2000 revs isn't anywhere near enough for a hard launch in a manual. I'd like to think I could to a 2 flat or 1.99 60 foot with a v6 ratioed T5 in my VP. Last night I made a gtech run without backing off the throttle on the launch and just left it go up in smoke to see what kinda time I could run while under full wheelspin conditions, I made a 6.3 to 60mph with enough smoke to leave rubber stuck to the passenger rear 1/4 :p, 5100-5200 revs was the sweet spot on my lexcen but for the gearshift

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
5100-5200 revs was the sweet spot on my lexcen but for the gearshift

Yeah I've found ringing it out a bit past 4800 up into this sort of range is good. It also helps put the next gear a bit further up the power band.

Atleast with the 2000 rpm lauch his clutch will be thanking him for it. ;)
A couple of full blown, clutch riding, high rpm launches would be interesting though. :D

Thanks for the info about the octane, I always thought the higher the octane, the more energy was released. I might have to go try some 91 and 95.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Congratulations on the 6.9 :) I make 2.15s in my vp at the track, 2.3s sounds ok for a V6 but I think you should really be in the 2.2s in a manual. 2000 revs isn't anywhere near enough for a hard launch in a manual. I'd like to think I could to a 2 flat or 1.99 60 foot with a v6 ratioed T5 in my VP. Last night I made a gtech run without backing off the throttle on the launch and just left it go up in smoke to see what kinda time I could run while under full wheelspin conditions, I made a 6.3 to 60mph with enough smoke to leave rubber stuck to the passenger rear 1/4 :p, 5100-5200 revs was the sweet spot on my lexcen but for the gearshift

cheers

did a pass where i popped the revs up more and spun it all the way through 1st gear and still did a 15.4sec 1/4 and 2.3 60ft. gonna play with tyre pressures next. not to keen on ridding the clutch to much as i'm not keen on fitting a new one at the mo, as it is i've got to pull the box off and reset the clutch fork pivot point, when i fitted the new clutch i had the flywheel machined but they ****ed it up and had to do it again so they took a lot more material off then normal, when i let the clutch pedal up it's not engaging untill its 3/4 of the way up. little 195/14's just aren't made for traction:D

Yeah I've found ringing it out a bit past 4800 up into this sort of range is good. It also helps put the next gear a bit further up the power band.

Atleast with the 2000 rpm lauch his clutch will be thanking him for it. ;)
A couple of full blown, clutch riding, high rpm launches would be interesting though. :D

Thanks for the info about the octane, I always thought the higher the octane, the more energy was released. I might have to go try some 91 and 95.

i may try one launch with lots of rpm and ride the clutch a little. gonna try some 95 fuel next just to see what difference it makes. i'm thinking i want to try the asby tune cause it's got more ignition advance over the arbp tune. if i can improve the topend power i can make up for the lack of taction on launch and get my 14 that way

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
looks like the hunt for a 14s 1/4mile pass is temporarily on hold, did 2 runs this morning and only managed 15.6 @ 88mph. dropped the tyre pressures a few psi and warmed them up a little but i'm starting to suffer from clutch slip when changing gears. at the very least i've gotta drop the box and change the pivot point for the clutch fork so that the clutch picks up earlier and maybe inspect the clutch itself. hoping that the linings aren't toast. it's done atleast 20 passes in the past 7 days. the other day, did 6 back to back passes is about 20 minutes:D not the best for a standard clutch:p

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
looks like the 14's are out the window for now, was doing a service on the trans this morning and i've found very fine steel shavings in the bottom of the box, hopefully it's just a buggered synchro

14secvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp v6 commodore executive
worst come to worst you can allways rebuild it too handle 650 Hp with this kit has all these and strengthening plates and stuff youve allready seen this pic but thought ide post it up for people to see

Attachments

• T5%20PARTS%20024.jpg
    T5%20PARTS%20024.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 131

VN Commy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 5 spd/VR Calais daily driver
worst come to worst you can allways rebuild it too handle 650 Hp with this kit has all these and strengthening plates and stuff youve allready seen this pic but thought ide post it up for people to see

Nice, how much does that kit cost?

Gutted, hopefully you get it ready for some more runs soon, and with a grippy new clutch. :p

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nice, how much does that kit cost?

Gutted, hopefully you get it ready for some more runs soon, and with a grippy new clutch. :p

seems things aren't as bad as first thought. the box will need to come out in the near future. synchros are fine, the shaving are most likely from worn bearings. with clean fluid it's nice and quiet, shifting nice and smooth too. the fluid that came out wasn't burnt or discoloured so it can't be to bad.

still working on a new tune, with the fact that we don't have cat in the zorst etc the arbp tune is probably a little lean to begin with, as well as the improvments to intake and zorst we can up the fueling a little, will also be going to 95 so there is plenty of movment to go with the ignition also but will be bringing that up slowly. at this stage i'll be running the asby ignition map.

have all the bits for an adld cable so will be able to data log next week hopefully, just goingto have to borrow the old mans laptop until such time as i can get my own:whistling

with the reco to the box i'll be upgrading to a pro billet shifter also and havethe clutch picking up where i like it to get nice cripsy quick shifts:D

that gear set is about US$1095 plus another US $500 for support plates strengthened input shaft etc

Last edited: