Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

150 Km for 28 L good or bad?

shroom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina SII
As per the title, in suburban driving conditions.

Extra details: During this period, mostly very short distances 3-5 Km each. Have not had many passengers, carried or towed anything heavy. Onboard computer indicated around 21L used for 147 Km but I filled 28 L at the pump.

Car: VT Berlina SII (3.8 L supercharged, stock as far as I am aware)
Fuel: 98 Octane (Vortex)
Tyre Pressures: 36 Psi (checked 2 weeks ago)
Servicing: Last one <5000km but one is coming up within 500 km.
Driving style: granny-esque - usually under 2k rpm, slow acceleration, coasting to red lights etc.

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
L/100kms = 28/1.5 = 18.667 litres

Not good in other words. You should be in the 14-15 range at its worst driving like that. Do a test with a full tank and if it's still bad then start diagnosing.

m1lky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Was it filled to full the previous time and this time? Otherwise the 28l doesn't mean much. But if that's true your getting worse economy than my 8 by quite a bit.

Could be o2 sensors. They'll significantly increase your fuel consumption.

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
If your onboard computer is correct then you are using 14 litres per 100 Km which is about right. You really need to fill your tank at the same pump every time to get an accurate indication of where full is on your tank. Some times your car could be parked leaning to one side or the other if the ground is sloping a bit to drain water away from the fuel pump area so you need to have your car parked at the same angle when filling it up.

wbwh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Caprice/WB Deville
As per the title, in suburban driving conditions.

Extra details: During this period, mostly very short distances 3-5 Km each. Have not had many passengers, carried or towed anything heavy. Onboard computer indicated around 21L used for 147 Km but I filled 28 L at the pump.

Car: VT Berlina SII (3.8 L supercharged, stock as far as I am aware)
Fuel: 98 Octane (Vortex)
Tyre Pressures: 36 Psi (checked 2 weeks ago)
Servicing: Last one <5000km but one is coming up within 500 km.
Driving style: granny-esque - usually under 2k rpm, slow acceleration, coasting to red lights etc.

I would try a tank to tank fill with easy highway conditions if you are worried about fuel cons.

City use has too many variables. Ill get worse than 20.0l/100km out of my ls1 in heavy traffic. Get moving in the 'burbs a d it'll drop to 15. Under 10 on easy highway trips.

Schwuppes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais L67 (conversion)
Shouldnt stock tyres be 32PSI?

And check the vacuum hoses to and from the throttle body (purge lines)

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
^Having a little more psi will help f/e by having less rolling resistance

tezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
I would try a tank to tank fill with easy highway conditions if you are worried about fuel cons.

City use has too many variables. Ill get worse than 20.0l/100km out of my ls1 in heavy traffic. Get moving in the 'burbs a d it'll drop to 15. Under 10 on easy highway trips.

Yep around the city my LS1 ranges from 16-18l/100km

DarkVoice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais Supercharged
28L/1.5 = 18.6L/100km
Mate, you better get you car check out, i got the same VT, even I drove to city, its approx. 15L/100km
probably you need to clean the air filter and check your MAS and oxygen sensors.
BTW, I usually just using 91#(shell), I feel Caltex petrol usually run out much quick than shell >_<|||

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Mate, that is horrendous. My supercharged 6 has seen better days and drinks pretty heavily and still I've never see worse than 13L/100k's for city driving and average about 11.5L/100 for every day work