Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

170k due what oil

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Hey my 170,000 service is about due in a few days or so, im looing at better oils atm, instead of wot i have been usein, does anyone know if this royal Purple is any good i know it cost $80 but is it worth it. My mate read there artical and said they seem to have done some test and it seems its very good.

Also does anyone know what Mechanis do if i was to take it to them to sevice or do they just replace oils an crap, or do they do the fuel air mix?

I havent taken this one to a mechanic yet only had it since 155,000 and did the 160k my self. if i do it myself can i take it to a mechanic an get them just to do the air fuel mix?

cheers

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The mixture can't be adjusted, it's controlled by the engine computer.

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Oil's are very dependent upon what you are using your car for. Things like average driving time per startup, how long you let it idle for prior to driving, style of driving, how often it sees the redline, engine mods etc etc.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
ah k nah my car dont c redline i ate the sound of it reven out so i havent done it since i 1st done it which was when i 1st got it. umm i let it idle around 3 mins b4 i drive it. no enine mods oh does a painted engine cover count haha jkn. mine an my missen driven is average were both pretty much sit on the limit an maybe the once in a blue moon take off quiker then normal but even then we dont redline it.

CMA

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
My car is on 135,000 k's and I use Pennzoil GT Street Machine 20W-50 if thats any help

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
ah k nah my car dont c redline i ate the sound of it reven out so i havent done it since i 1st done it which was when i 1st got it. umm i let it idle around 3 mins b4 i drive it. no enine mods oh does a painted engine cover count haha jkn. mine an my missen driven is average were both pretty much sit on the limit an maybe the once in a blue moon take off quiker then normal but even then we dont redline it.

short trips of long?

personally i rekon u should use either penrite hpr 10 or 15...wiked oil's!

the important thing wid older engines like urs unfortunately is is to get sumthing a bit thicker....hpr 10 is 10w-50 which will give u good protection at start up and at high temps....hpr 15 is a bit thicker 15w-60 and prolly more suited to ur car as it is just that bit thicker.

and hpr 15 is also semi synthetic which will help a bit too...and its only $33 so its not guna break the bank

hope that helps :thumbsup:
ryan

krazyboris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII Spac S/C
Agreed, I would suggest a 10W-50 aswell, but again, depends on how long you drive. (short or long trips, and start stop driving, or cycle all the way throught the gearbox).

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
oh kool some good info lol just have to make my mind i guess, ill prolly go a little thicker like vuv6 said . i did have a book somewhere for my car but cant find it, does anyone know how many litres the auto's hold.as im gunna service that as well..... coz im gunna buy the service kit for that aswell.

cheers guy's

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
kool i just need the point 8 lol so another litre i should be rite.

cheers