Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

17inch Tyre Choice

C

calais5l

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a good performance tyre in a 235/45/17 size?

My needs in a tyre are mainly very good steering response and dry handling. I'm currently running on Sumitomo HTRZ-II tyres and i have a total lack of steering response, as it feels like the tread is flexing quite a lot. They have a very rounded shoulder and are a soft compound, which is why i think they have a very spongy feel when cornering, but very good in the wet.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

calais5l

J

jerome_boy

Yea mate, i've got exactly the same tyres (Sumitomo Hrtz-II) and i've had no problems with them...They perform well under most circumstances, and excellent in the wet. Although, the previous owner put them on the car right before i bought it, so i've had nothing else to compare them with.
Im not quite sure what you mean by a lack of steering response, because mine don't seem too bad at all.

Just my 2cents worth mate ;)

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I still recommend Hankook K104's - And I will until I drive something better.

1Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S2 SV8
I've got Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 235/45R17 on my Vr. They're really good in the wet, good steering response.
However if your interested in doing wheel spins they're probably not very good as they grip really well in both wet and dry conditions plus they're fairly expensive (in NZ anyway).

The only negatives that I can find with them:
1)they "rail road" meaning if theres a groove or anything in the road the front wheels follow it, meaning you tend to fight the car a lot. this is due to the pattern of the tyre.

2) they are relatively noisy. but hay just crank up the stereo and ya dont know the difference.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
I don't think rail roadings the pattern sorry bloke, nearly wide tyre should do it.

1Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S2 SV8
ya could be right bextor84, however I used to work for a tyre fitment company and we used to fit cars with big bastard tyres (like in the region of 285, 315 and 345mm) and never had a problem but as soon as we put any tyre with a V pattern on, the cars would rail road regardless of width. eg people with family station wagons which had standard 195/50R15 tyres which would run straight would come back complaining of the rail roading after we put on tyres with a V pattern.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Interesting.

I'm thinking it made depend on the weight of the rim aswell, sounds strange I guess.. But when I think back, I've had 3 sets of rims on my car, one 17x7 with 235's Grid Pattern, Was a huge issue with Rail roading as you call it.
16x7.5 or 8's with 225 Grid Tyres, wasn't really a worry, but the 17 x7's with 235's do it a bit, but not as much.