Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

18 month service

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
Hi all my 2015 sv6 is due for 18 month service. It only has 12000 klms on it but they recommend wheel alignment and balance over the phone when booking it. I said it doesn't need it. Should I have said yes just seems strange to say it needs it when they haven't driven the car. As for the first 18 months owned love it great car

RockDAhouse

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
for the last 2 services i went to they ask me whether i want to do it for ... can't remember the exact price now, is under $50, I just say yes. I guess is one of the thing they can make money on since almost everyone is capped price service now.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Hi all my 2015 sv6 is due for 18 month service. It only has 12000 klms on it but they recommend wheel alignment and balance over the phone when booking it. I said it doesn't need it. Should I have said yes just seems strange to say it needs it when they haven't driven the car. As for the first 18 months owned love it great car

How are your tyres wearing?

Evenly or not? Be sure to carefully check both front and rear. If evenly doubtful you will need an alignment.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1

Evenly or not? Be sure to carefully check both front and rear. If evenly doubtful you will need an alignment.

they will wheel align it, they will give it excessive toe in thus wearing your tyres out.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6

Thanks for replies tyres still look brand new and all even cheers gossie

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
I am very reluctant to have such work (wheel alignment etc) performed at a Dealer. Most times they will call in an outside Service and such check is performed on often inadequate equipment. Take your car to a reputable Tyre Centre (I use and prefer Bridgestone - some are better than others) and WAIT whilst they perform the check to ascertain if work is required.

p.s. if your engine is an Alloytec, I suggest that you change oil and filter EVERY 5,000km to try and prevent sludge build-up. A lot of owners believe that 12000km is far to infrequent.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
I am very reluctant to have such work (wheel alignment etc) performed at a Dealer. Most times they will call in an outside Service and such check is performed on often inadequate equipment. Take your car to a reputable Tyre Centre (I use and prefer Bridgestone - some are better than others) and WAIT whilst they perform the check to ascertain if work is required.

p.s. if your engine is an Alloytec, I suggest that you change oil and filter EVERY 5,000km to try and prevent sludge build-up. A lot of owners believe that 12000km is far to infrequent.

Thanks benboy I have had it serviced twice already first service it only had about 6000 is cheers

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The standard 18 month service doesn't include a requirement for wheel alignment or balance (only rotation of tyres). The standard response to any offers of service outside of the service coupon should be "NO", especially when that offer is made prior to a vehicle inspection.

I would never allow anyone to perform a wheel alignment on my car unless I was confident that they would do a good job. I've had a number of bad experiences over the years, particularly with offset steering wheels. I now only ever take my car to one provider. They frequently align cars that drive there from all over Victoria to get a correct alignment.

Obx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline
BlackVXGTS...where is the place in VIC you take for wheel alignment?? Getting new tires put on later this week so like to do a wheel alignment.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
BlackVXGTS...where is the place in VIC you take for wheel alignment?? Getting new tires put on later this week so like to do a wheel alignment.

PM sent to you.