Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

185kW Chip Package

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
My wife will shortly be getting my VSII V8 statesman permanently (I do get a WHII V8 Statesman upgrade though!!) and she's decided that an upgrade to 185kW is in order. Browsing ebay I found the following auction for a 185kw package (memcal,knock sensor,harness) and I have a few questions for the experts on here.

1) Has anyone on this forum bought this or a similar package from this seller? Is $270 a reasonable price assuming it is a new memcal?
2) Am I correct in assuming that to get to 185kW I require a new/rewritten memcal, knock sensor, harness, CAI, headers and larger exhaust? Any other parts/modifications required?
3) Already having CAI on the car but only a standard exhaust, what sort of power upgrade can be expected immediately? Am I looking at only having a small power increase (say 5kW) until the exhaust/headers are upgraded?

Cheers,
Mark.

C

corbo001

Hey mark.

I purchased the exact same Chip package of ebay. I put it in my vr ss and it made a diffrence...

I have a K&N Pod , Stock headers to the cat and then 3" to the back. I really noticed the improvement around 3000 rpm just sorta takes off very good and worth lookin at mate...

Glenn

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
I can guarantee a better result & no dramas fitting knock sensor
$200 changeover.
Cheers Rob

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Dr Bob, can you please explain, as I have seen the same site and wonder if it is worth the effort ?

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The knock sensor is fitted to reduce the ignition timing advance when pinging is detected. this is all well and good in a production car with joe public driving but for a performance application the knock sensor can actually harm output by false triggering.
on top of that its a bugger to fit & run a wire through the firewall etc.
The power increase will be immediate & the exhaust will improve it yes.
as for the price... the memcal trade price is about $130
the knock sensor is $45, the harness is about $25, So you could in theory buy all this stuff for about $200 yourself... work it out....

Hope this helps
Cheers Rob