Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

19'' RIMS ON S2 SV6 Ute - NOT LOWERED

The Gronk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 S2 ute
Hey lads first post so mind my rookieness.

Have picked up a SV6 S2 Ute in alto. I want to upgrade the rims but not lower the ute because im up far north and the roads are rubbish and my back is shot. I no 19" tyres are alot more expensive and thats cool, but how will it look?? Anyone got 19"s on a ute with stock suspension?? Also does anyone know if the thunder utes with the stock 19''s are lower than a 2010 S2 ute as that would give me an idea of the look. Any advice or pics would be awesome.

Will post some pics real soon when i get a chance.

Cheers GRONK

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Double post sorry

Last edited:

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
SV6 Thunders and normal SV6's are the same thing, just different trims and wheels.

image3.jpg

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Go check out a SS-V mate... Come with 19's & at standard height :) They look good IHMO, but would look tough lowered.

If I can get some reasonable ones of mine I'll post them up :D Mines stock as as rock btw.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Just remember that the tyres are part of the suspension system and by going with a larger diameter rim, you will effectively be reducing the shock absorbing ability of the car. Since you mention your back is shot and the roads in your area are bad, you might want to take this into consideration. Also 19" tyres are rated at a bit less load carry capacity so being a ute, if you carry heavy loads this would also be something to think about as it will reduce the amount of weight you can safely carry in the tray.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I agree with Big AL above.

If the roads are terrible (broken and pot holed etc) the last thing you should be doing is putting a lower profile tyre (40 in this case) on the car which is what you will need to do to run 19 inch rims - ie. 245 40 19 in place of the 245 45 18 on the standard rims. A 45 profile tyre is already quite marginal for rough/ bad roads.
Low profile tyres are quite obviously designed for running around on smooth bitumen not the back blocks of QLD where the roads are rough (and more suited to 4wd vehicles with large high profile heavy duty tyres ).

It's your money so you choose but with bad road conditions I would be staying with the 18 inch wheels and the 45 profile tyres.

The Gronk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 S2 ute
Cheers for the advice guys. I also think it still looks good with 19's with stock suspension, just wasnt sure if the SS-V was lower so that clears that up.

Big Al and Sean880 i agree with you both, I can get my hands on a SS-V on 19's so i can get a good feel for them and i hope from there that will make my mind up for me! Thanks for the advice guys

Gronk