Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[SA] 1979 Holden VB Commodore SL 308 4 Speed

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
ITEM: 1979 Holden VB Commodore SL

PRICE: $3500 as is, reasonably firm on this as the car owes me $5000. However if i fix any of the issues stated in the other section before the car is sold then the price will be raised accordingly.

YEAR: 1979 (will check month later)

SERIES: VB

BADGE: SL

ENGINE: VK Black 308 5L V8

TRANSMISSION: M20 Manual 4 Speed

COLOUR: Gold

EXTERIOR CONDITION: The exterior of the car is factory original and even wears the factory paint! The condition is better than average for a vehicle of this age. There are some minor dents and scratches as to be expected of a 30+ year old car and there is some surface rust developing on the car, particularly the roof but nothing major or terminal at this stage. The car is kept undercover under a carport so the rust isnt much of an issue. The common areas for rust such as the boot floor, spare wheel well, around the windscreens, etc are all rust free which suprised me. There is also little paint fade which is remarkable for 31 year old paint.

INTERIOR CONDITION: The interior of the car is the original sandlewood leather and is in extremely good for a vehicle of this vintage. There are a few minor interior parts missing which are the door handle surrounds for the front doors and the sunvisor clips are missing. There are no burn marks whatsoever, very little wear on the leather and only a couple of very minor rips on the front seats which are hidden out of view.

TYRE CONDITION: This will depend on what wheels you want the car on. It can either come on a set of very average condition genuine VS SS mags on retreads with around 50% tyre tread front and rear or it can come on some Speedy Holotype R wheels in good condition with only around 15% tyre tread front and rear.

TYRE SIZE INCLUDING LOAD RATING: 225/55/R16

ODOMETER: 250,000km

SERVICE HISTORY: No service history from any previous owners unfortunately but I have receipts for all the work I have had done to the car under my ownership for the last 6 months. See other info section for more details.

REGO OF CAR: SA

REGO TILL: 07/11

PLATES INCLUDED: Yes

RWC: Not applicable in SA, however I will state the areas of the car which need rectifying in the other section.

DELIVERY/PICK UP INFORMATION: Pick up preferred, may deliver within the southern Adelaide metro area for petrol money but my asking price will be completely firm. I will send this car interstate for a buyer if they organise everything and simply tell me where I need to take the car for shipping, however they will need to have paid me in full first.

PAYMENT OPTIONS: Cash on pick up or delivery for local buyers, or if easier bank deposit but the money will need to have cleared in full before the keys are handed over. Interstate buyers will need to pay me in full via bank deposit before the car is shipped.

CONTACT DETAILS: PM first and we can go from there. I will give out my phone number via PM as well as the suburb the car is located. Not overly happy posting these details on the thread for the whole world to see.

OTHER INFO: Ok, plenty of information to list here so this will be quite a large section.

Some more information/history about the car.

The car was a 253 4.2L V8 M20 4 speed manual from the factory and was sold in Tasmania new. It came with power steering, disc brakes all round, tow bar (tongue is still there). Unfortunately it was not optioned with any luxury items such as air conditioning or central locking.

The previous owner bought the car from Tasmania (possibly from the original owners, cant confirm this) and had it shipped to Adelaide. He then ripped out the old 253 and replaced it with a freshly rebuilt 308 5L V8 black motor from a VK retaining the original M20 4 speed manual. The motor has only done 50,000kms unfortunately there are no receipts to prove this but the motor drives and sounds very healthy.

The previous owner fitted the VB with a heavy duty clutch (which is going strong), a mild cam (unknown specifications but you can hear it), roller rockers (unknown specifications), extractors and a single exhaust system which gives the VB a tough old school sound. He also replaced the brake discs and pads with factory specifications items, the shocks and springs with upgraded aftermarket items (pedders comfort shocks and kings low springs), all tie rod ends, bushes etc. The VB sits slightly lower than factory and all these items were replaced 50,000kms ago but again, no receipts unfortunately (the previous owner did the work himself and didnt keep the receipts).

Since Ive had the car Ive had the windows tinted at Sungard Marion with UV rejecting tint to reduce interior temperatures which is obviously within the legal limits on tint shade (receipt available). Ive also fitted Fusion rear 6x9" speakers with tweeters and Fusion 4" front speakers in the kick panels and a Kenwood CD player myself.

Ive also had the vacuum system set up properly and the carby tuned for performance at Marion Specialty Tuning which resulted in a dyno output of 153kw and 390nm at the rear wheels (have dyno sheet and receipt). I have also had a new wheel bearing replaced (receipt available) at All Holden Spares. I have also had all new power steering lines fitted to the car at Anderson Automatic (receipts available). The car is also fitted with a remote central locking kit but i believe i may have installed incorrectly as it keeps playing up so i have removed the control module for the meantime but this will be coming with the car if the new owner wants to set the system up properly.

I recently had the car inspected by my mechanic(s) at All Holden Spares and they gave me a list of the areas which need mechanical attention on the car. The VB requires a new power steering pump (should have one by Tuesday and will fit it myself) and the exhaust manifold gaskets replaced as they have begun to leak. From my own knowledge I know that the next service is due in 1000kms and that the carby could do with a retune for this colder weather as it has started running a bit rich and appears to be leaking again (this issue was solved when the carby was retuned previously at Marion Specialty Tuning). The car will also need a wheel alignment and balance as it does pull a little to the left. I can provide a voucher to have the wheel alignment and balance done for free and the service done labour free.

As just stated I should have the power steering pump replaced by next weekend but I will also try to get the wheel alignment and balance done if i can get it booked in and may also get the carby retuned if i get the time. If I get these issues sorted all the new owner will need to do is give the car a service (which is something i do as soon as i buy a car anyway) and replace the exhaust manifold gaskets. I may replace the exhaust manifold gaskets if i can but the price will go up to accomodate this as I have set the price with these issues in mind.

The car will come with the original owners manual, hand book and radio book as well as a gregorys workshop manual and a max ellery workshop manual.

The car will also come with a few spares such as badges and a spare tail light. I also have a set of 308 red heads and an intake manifold which i can include in the sale for extra as i will no longer be needing these.

There might be more information i have forgotten to mention so if i remember anything i will add it to the ad.

If you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM and i will answer them as soon as possible (will be within 24 hours).

This is a lovely car to drive and really does have that old school character that moderns car just dont have. I love this car to pieces but if i keep it for any longer i know the mod bug will bite me hard and i really cant afford to go crazy with mods on a uni student budget!

Reason For Sale: I have just received some inheritance money and am looking to upgrade to a newer luxury car such as a BMW or some form of sports car such as an import.

PICTURES:

scan0003.jpg
VB Rear .jpg
VB 308.jpg
VB SS Rims.jpg
VB Bonnet Up.jpg
VB Rear.jpg
VB Side.jpg
VB Interior.jpg
VB Front Side.jpg

if you want any specific photos, such as the rust, feel free to ask and ill be happy to take some for genuine enquiries.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ad!

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
will take $3000 cash as is, if sold by the end of the week.

this would make a fantastic project or restoration so get in quick

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
bump, price is still $3000. surely someone wants a classic commodore as a project car?? if i could keep this as a project i would but unfortunately funds + driving space are too limited for two cars

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
bump it up. i know that most people dont want a project in winter but surely someone wants this? it would make a perfectly good daily if a projects not your thing. this car has been my daily for the past 6 months and has been hassle free which suprised me for a car of this vintage.

i will take near offers but nothing stupid and no swaps.

doms1

Reaction score
Members Ride
BANNED
Bump for your nice early girl,pity you selling it mate