Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1984 Vh not started in years

metalfossil

Reaction score
Great Forum Thanks.

I've got a 4.2 litre SLX VH in my garage that hadn't been started in 7 years. I've a few questions that I wonder if you good people can help me with?

The tyres were completely flat. All pumped up now, but are they safe to drive? It started after three or four attempts and I've had it running for a few hours.... What sort of problems should I be looking for?

What sort of petrol should I fill it with?

Am I allowed to drive it (unregistered) to a garage for a roadworthy?

Thanks in advance

VR028

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII SS
i would probably change the engine oil before driving it unless the garage is very close and get the mech to do it for u while he's roadworthying it. the tyres should be fine if they've got tread, just check they arent leaking. fill it with whatever petrol u want. and im pretty sure vic roads can offer a tempory cover note or something to drive an unregistered car for the purpose of getting a rwc

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah head on down to vic roads and get yourself a 30 day registration. its about 50 bucks (from memory, maybe more) and you can drive it to and from places of repair during business hours.

i would always use premium fuel 98. the tyres will be fine for short trips, but the firewalls could be cracked so i wouldnt be putting it through any fast corners. as mentioned, the oil will probably be full of water by now, so a quick change and new filter couldnt hurt.

also before you go driving in it, THROUGHLY check your fuel hoses for seepage. if there are cracks in the braid and fuel sprays out in a mist, it can catch fire. so if there is any wetness on the fuel hoses, fix it. i guess the same could be said for the cooling system also, so yeah, check all the rubber hoses.

really nice to see a VH come back to life. what are your plans? are you able to create a new thread in the "my rides" section?

metalfossil

Reaction score
yeah head on down to vic roads and get yourself a 30 day registration. its about 50 bucks (from memory, maybe more) and you can drive it to and from places of repair during business hours.

i would always use premium fuel 98. the tyres will be fine for short trips, but the firewalls could be cracked so i wouldnt be putting it through any fast corners. as mentioned, the oil will probably be full of water by now, so a quick change and new filter couldnt hurt.

also before you go driving in it, THROUGHLY check your fuel hoses for seepage. if there are cracks in the braid and fuel sprays out in a mist, it can catch fire. so if there is any wetness on the fuel hoses, fix it. i guess the same could be said for the cooling system also, so yeah, check all the rubber hoses.

really nice to see a VH come back to life. what are your plans? are you able to create a new thread in the "my rides" section?

Thanks for all the advice guys. Thanks ari666. I ran it for about two hours and couldn't find any leaks. I guess if they're there they'll show under load though...

I've had diiffering advice on the tyres. They were only six months old before the car was placed in the garage. They were however completely flat and I think that has changed their shape...

My wife has really wanted me to get rid of her. She was really surprised that it fired up so quickly though. I would really like to do her up (the car not the wife), but I'm a bit rusty in that field. For instance, I've just noticed that one of the retaining bolts to macpherson strut suspension arm has snapped off. Not sure if that's a job I'd be able to do myself...?

It will definetely not be going for scrap though.

Thanks again

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
Excellent, great to see another classic VH back on the raod, well almost. I would be betting that the cooling system has probably turned to brown sludge and will need some close attention (coming from a bloke who has had no end of cooling issues with his VH.............).

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I've just noticed that one of the retaining bolts to macpherson strut suspension arm has snapped off. Not sure if that's a job I'd be able to do myself...?

hmmm would depend on which bolt you are referring to. although this is off a different car, its very similar to my VK, so i assume VH.
Suspfr.jpg

which bolt is broken?

metalfossil

Reaction score
hmmm would depend on which bolt you are referring to. although this is off a different car, its very similar to my VK, so i assume VH.
Suspfr.jpg

which bolt is broken?

You're a legend. Thanks for the diagram. It's actually the bolt at the top left diagram. The one with the word cover pointing to it. Does that strut mounting insulator come as a seperate part on the VH? I think it's time to purchase a manual.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its just a strut tower bolt, probably have to replace the hole plate they are the same from VB-VP so theres plenty around at the wreckers. Not a difficult job but you need spring compressors and a rattle gun makes life easy.