Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1990 VN Calais 3.8L

elmf

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais 3.8L
Is there much of a price difference between the king springs and the lovells? And I'm wondering is it legal to lower the rear (with shortened struts too) whilst not doing the front? I was thinking superlows

elmf

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais 3.8L

HOLDEN COMMODORE VN SEDAN 6CYL F&R 50mm SUPER LOW COIL KING SPRINGS | eBay so the king springs are alot cheaper then it seems?

Do I need lower struts for rear and front? I think I read somewhere that I don't?

I got a quote today from a mechanic I trust for $500 just for the rears+installed....seems quite expensive..I do have a friend who is a mechanic who could do it with me? But where do I get the struts if I order springs off Ebay?

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
any money spent on a vn is out of budget lol... your the one that has to drive it everyday so its up to you what you want to spend. you might wanna sift through the jc classified section cause people are selling king springs all the time, might get a good deal on some second handers.... then just buy new gas struts for it...

actually i have a set of rears that someone gave to me but i think theyve been cut, so there too low now....im assuming there cut cause theres bare metal showing on the ends on both...

pm me if you want them, there super low rears, you can have them for free there just banging around in my boot...

elmf

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais 3.8L
haha if they are cut then no thank you
although I appreciate the offer man...are you...seriously in Pascoe Vale?

When i'm a member for three months i'll scour the trade forums a bit...second hand would be best..and yeah I know any money spent is out of budget...but $300 compared to $600 is a massive difference haha

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
pascoe vale south to be exact.... or as i like to call it, retired wogville.

elmf

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN Calais 3.8L
Lol..i'm no retired wog and we live next door to eachother my friend.

In regards to my previous question, is it actually worth just putting springs/struts just in the rear? Are shocks necessary for a decent ride? I'm not one to sacrifice ride quality just for looks.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
there are no struts in the rear, if you fit lowered springs you need the shocks to suit (if left with standard shocks they expand to far and under extreme driving conditions where you and 4x4'ing or jumping the car the lowered spring will fall out.... yes i have done this and learnt the hard way, it's a prick when the spring is rubbing on the tyre and you don't have a jack suitable with you in the middle of the bush... damn that car was fun... wonder if my current car coul.... no, bad idea)

fronts you can usually get away with stock shocks and lowered springs for "normal" driving conditions, if the car is jacked/hoisted up and the springs are free and able to be moved then it'll fail a rwc check, you can replace the shockers in the front without having to replace the entire strut.