Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1990 vn ss

FlawlessVNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SS
little bit about myself, and what i drive my name is Adam, Ive been to a few of the North Melbourne Meets with a couple of friends of mine, i did have a Thread on here a while about but lost the details to the account and have no idea what they could be so made a new one.

i own a 1990 VNSS, Ive had it for about 2 - 3 years now and been working on it ever since, ive always wanted a VN SS since i was old enough to walk and my uncle had one,
when i turned 18 i started looking for one and by the ages of 20 i had bought my first one. its a little rough in places, but i didn't expect it to be A class material to start off with, i bought one to do up as a project.
hope you guys like it and look forward to meeting more of you one day.

Car: 1990 VN SS

Paint: Atlas Grey

BodyKit: Factory SS

Engine: V8 5.0lt

Transmission:
- T56 6spd Manual Conversion
- hydralic Clutch Setup

Exhaust:
- 4 into 1 headers, Blitz high flow cat 3 inch single system with dual tip outlet.

Diff:
- 3.45 LSD

Brakes:
- Standard ss

Suspension:
- Standard FE2

Wheels:
- 18x8 Inch Vy SS Rims

Tyres:
- 235/40/R18 Zeetex

Interior:
- Stock SS Interior
- New Roof Lining
- Standard Front Door Inserts with Custom 6 1/2 Inch Speaker Pods and Factory Door Pockets
- Saas Water Temp, Vaccum, Oil Pressure Gauges

Sound System:
(yet to be installed)
- JVC 5.5inch In Dash Single Din Full Touch Screen DVD Player
- 2x JVC 7" Head Rest Monitors
- SoundStream 6 1/2 Inch 400w 3ways
- SoundStream 6x9 Inch 600w Components
- SoundStream Tarantula TX1.2000D Mono Blocks
- SoundStream TSQ-122 12 Inch Subwoofers
- SoundStream PXW-15 D4 15 Inch Pro Bass Subwoofers

bffd85a7.jpg

947edf51.jpg

38aafa7d.jpg

7bfa7e2b.jpg

7714832b.jpg

When i first got the SS it was a 4 spd auto, and since having it i have been through 3 t700's, so i decided that it was time to get rid of the auto and put a manual in it. originally i was looking at going a T5 5 spd box but after talking to a few people and doing a lot of homework i ended up doing a full t56 conversion on the SS instead.

i am running a clutch kit out of a 6sp maloo, where there are a few people that may run there standard t5 clutch set up with a 26 spline clutch plate.

2f78317e.jpg

Just a little size comparison from the t700 to the t56 doesn't look much bigger from the photo but its a hell of a lot more heavier then the auto even without oil in it

f83bbed9.jpg

after installing the t56 and taking it out for a test run got it back home and noticed it was blowing a lot of smoke out of the exhaust so did a compression test and was low in the 3rd and 5th cylinders so i stripped it down and replaced the head gaskets and up with ACL race series gaskets.

f03b1b5b.jpg

Next on the list of things to do in the near future is replace the 3.45 diff with a 4:11, get the interior redone win a white/cream with purple double stitching or in a charcoal grey with red double stitching (undecided yet).
new part thinking of heading a custom colour or just respraying it in atlas grey. and getting around to installing the sound system but most likely wont happen until its been painted.

as for performance wise im looking at some where in the 300kws ill be happy with 300kws at the wheels but will se what happens when it comes time to rebuild.

FlawlessVNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SS
Just thought i would add a few more photos of the VN SS Club Cruise along mornington peninsular.

was a great day had a awesome time, and the route was alot of fun.

IMGP1480_zps9122638e.jpg

IMGP1502_zpsa5960b9a.jpg

IMGP1506_zps0e6f93fe.jpg

gavpav

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SSV Redline W375
Awesome job. You should be proud!

FlawlessVNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SS
thats my old t56 lol

sure is mate, like i said on the SS forum was a pain to put in but i finally got it done took about a month or so. still having issues with 1st and 2nd gear but could just be the oil but getting it looked at over christmas i hope just to make sure nothing is damaged internally. but it should be good.

Awesome job. You should be proud!

thanks.
yeh im really proud of how far it has come, really looking forward to getting the power plant upgraded tho.

two-bit

old enough to mang better
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S series II
has this always been missing the aerial o.0 or is just tucked down the bottom?
bit of elbow grease and she will be good as gold again

FlawlessVNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SS
has this always been missing the aerial o.0 or is just tucked down the bottom?
bit of elbow grease and she will be good as gold again

well the aerial broke when i was at the car wash lol
i put a new one in but its always down i don't really have a need to put it up never listen to the radio always got Cd's going or the good ol memory stick plugged in :p

as for the box yeh bit of elbow grease when changing gears atm and it goes hard as you would know lol i just dont think it likes the castrol oil..... but then again who does haha

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
well the aerial broke when i was at the car wash lol
i put a new one in but its always down i don't really have a need to put it up never listen to the radio always got Cd's going or the good ol memory stick plugged in :p

as for the box yeh bit of elbow grease when changing gears atm and it goes hard as you would know lol i just dont think it likes the castrol oil..... but then again who does haha

ill speak to my father in law when im at his shop tommorow about the gear changes see what he said.
im fairly sure he said a good oil will make it alot better so ill ask what oil he recomends

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Good start to a project mate and you can't go wrong with a manual!

PJDM1980

FlawlessVNSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VN SS
ill speak to my father in law when im at his shop tommorow about the gear changes see what he said.
im fairly sure he said a good oil will make it alot better so ill ask what oil he recomends

cheers mate.

it says it takes dex 3 but the castrol stuff is real thin so i don't think its stopping the teeth quick enough so its just making the gear changes a little stiff mainly going down from 3rd to 2nd, and when you come to a stop getting it back into first is sometimes hard as well but once the box warms up a bit its alot easier.