Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1993 VP project

Ranuip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp
I've had my VP for 4 yrs now and has been very reliable. I have only just started thinking about getting some work done on it. First thing on the list is a full body touch up, rust around boot and front/rear windscreen. I want to keep original colour ( blue/grey), as well as the V6. I have got gauges, rims, new lights all round, audio, steering wheel, b&m shifter(it's an auto) all waiting to go in the car. I want to lower it on some quality springs/shocks ( any suggestions) and also get a shift kit for the trans. I can't afford to get it all done at once so it is all getting done one thing at a time all the while being my daily driver, hoping to so all the work myself, apart from the body work as I have no idea about that.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
I'd recommend KYB Excel G shocks, in standard height, with King Springs Lows. That way the ride will be firm and handle properly but still be practical and comfier than super low springs. You should also replace all your bushes with poly items, I recommend SuperPro. And while you're there, SuperPro sway bar link pins should go in, and if you want, some Whiteline sway bars.

Before you fit a shift kit, try just putting in a corvette servo. Might save yourself some big dollars.

Also I assume you have a boss kit for the new steering wheel?

Before you go doing anything, make sure the car is fully serviced and running well. And I'd probably upgrade the brakes too, even just slotted rotors and new fluid and pads, just to be safe.

Ranuip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp
Yea, didn't want to go super low. I've got a full set of new bushes to go in and looking at the sway bars.
Brakes are in line for the upgrade, slotted rotors but whats the best (and cheap) caliper upgrade? Should I go for the VP V8 set up, I've been told that the VT calipers were better??
Excuse my lack of knowledge......what does a corvette servo do?

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Sounds good. Don't go too big with the sway bars.

A VT caliper upgrade is pretty common and popular, as they are twin piston.

The corvette servo changes the pressures slighty in the transimission so you achieve firmer, quick shifts. They are called Corvette servos as they were factory fitted to the Corvettes. They are less than $50 so worth a try.

Ranuip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp
Is 27mm sway bar a good size?
I've also been told that I have to put in an adjustable panhard rod ...... Is this true?

Looked up the corvette servo and it looks like a simple change, once I get the trans out :)

I'm also thinking of getting High ratio rockers. But that's a bit further down the track.