Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1994 VR 185i radiator help please

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Not suitable because it doesn't have a trans cooler. For the 600 you could of gotten that radiator and an external trans cooler which really helps.

Mick_Marsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Not suitable because it doesn't have a trans cooler. For the 600 you could of gotten that radiator and an external trans cooler which really helps.
My question to the seller:
Do you have one that suits a 1994 185i Calais?
The seller's reply:
Hi, Sorry, we do not have one. Thanks, IQ...
I already have an external transmission cooler. Why would I want another one?

This Calais has a HSV build number. It has some dealer fitted extras. I want to keep it as standard as possible. I do not want to modify it. It has performed so well for the past 500,000 km plus and the only major item has been a transmission rebuild at 320,000 km because most seem to require it at about 200,000 to 250,000 km. That is about due again soon.
After 20 years, and almost 500,000 km, I replaced the water pump, hoses, viscous fan coupling and radiator. Holden suppplied and installed the aluminium/plastic radiator. I am more than a little disappointed it didn't last a year where the other two lasted about ten years each.

Now, I want a radiator as close to the original as I can get.

Can anyone assist? If not, I'll go with the fellow who reckons he can supply just what I want for around $600, $770 installed.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
The reason they said they don't is because it doesn't exist. Yours is a special build obviously. Doesn't mean that radiator won't work.

simmons001

I like VS Caprices
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange/VS Caprice S1 5.0
Radiator

The reason they said they don't is because it doesn't exist. Yours is a special build obviously. Doesn't mean that radiator won't work.

Just a standard Holden radiator

I feel you man. Had a genuine Holden radiator in my VS 185kW Caprice. Went for years, but finally needed replacing. Had the same issues and got an alloy/plastic one that was stuffed after a year. Managed to get a genuine GMH brass one finally at it was fitted at a local Holden dealer less than a year ago. No more problems.

Tho the did tell me it was the LAST one in Australia and was around $300 from memory cause GMH just wanted it gone pretty much. I dont know how true it was but it is genuine, cheap, brass and is perfect.

I assume you have given GMH a ring? I ALWAYS go genuine if i can find the parts. Getting harder and harder but always worth the effort.

Oh and if it was Holden fitted, surely they are worth talking to about warranty?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
if under a year old should be warranty, most holden parts have 2yr 50k, take it back

355VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR 355 5spd
A friend bought a VS SS that had a V6 radiator fitted. Went to the local wreckers and picked up a good V8 one for $50.00. If it was no good he was going to get it re-cored. That would have been around $400.00. Makes $300.00 for a genuine a bargain, especially if it was the last, but it makes $600.00 look a bit over the top.
My VS SS has a $50.00 gumtree radiator. Looks like it may have been fitted for a couple months to another vehicle, was very clean. Looked a genuine unit but I suspect a copy. It does what it suppose to though.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I don't want a custom alloy radiator. Just the standard brass one.

Who said anything about custom? Plenty of off the shelf complete alloys available, not from your shop though apparently. Like anything else there are still plenty of china spec ones that leak though.

If you've already got a trans cooler, any 5l radiator will work. Auto radiators just happened to have one that ran through one end tank. There is nothing different about the 185i engine except for a knock sensor.

Mick_Marsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Just a standard Holden radiator

I feel you man. Had a genuine Holden radiator in my VS 185kW Caprice. Went for years, but finally needed replacing. Had the same issues and got an alloy/plastic one that was stuffed after a year. Managed to get a genuine GMH brass one finally at it was fitted at a local Holden dealer less than a year ago. No more problems.

Tho the did tell me it was the LAST one in Australia and was around $300 from memory cause GMH just wanted it gone pretty much. I dont know how true it was but it is genuine, cheap, brass and is perfect.

I assume you have given GMH a ring? I ALWAYS go genuine if i can find the parts. Getting harder and harder but always worth the effort.

Oh and if it was Holden fitted, surely they are worth talking to about warranty?
Ah, thanks.
A man who understands what I am asking.

I'm told by others there are differences between the radiator for a SS or Clubsport and the radiator for a Calais. The fellow who reckons he has a solution for me confirmed this. The radiator he is offering is an aftermarket one and is more than likely a better option than what is on offer from the Holden Service Centre.
Who should I contact in GMH as the local baboons will not be servicing so much as my toe nail clippers. The trouble I've had getting them to find a leak, even after I pointed it out to them.
"Radiator leak, there" I said.
When I collected it, "We changed the hoses." they said.
Then after proving it still leaked in their workshop, they put the crappy aluminium/plastic radiator in and failed to install the screws of the cold air intake. When I complained about that, they tied it up with cable ties.

I couldn't give a toss about the waranty. I just want the crappy thing gone.

Mick_Marsh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Who said anything about custom? Plenty of off the shelf complete alloys available, not from your shop though apparently. Like anything else there are still plenty of china spec ones that leak though.

If you've already got a trans cooler, any 5l radiator will work. Auto radiators just happened to have one that ran through one end tank. There is nothing different about the 185i engine except for a knock sensor.
I don't want an aluminium radiator. I want a brass one.
I need a radiator for a Calais. The SS and Clubsport radiators are different.

Last edited:

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I give up. There is no difference. Do you really think Holden/HSV would go to the expense of having 4 or 5 different radiators for their different models....