Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1995 VS Commodore Issues!

poxpox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series 1
Hi All,

for the last 6 months or so I have been having some trouble with my 1995 VS Commodore. Please note that I am not the most mechanically minded person!

First of all the background - I have 4 speed auto 95 VS Commodore. The engine was replaced at approximately 200,000kms due to a faulty oil pump not pumping oil through the engine. The replacement motor had 100,000kms on it when it was installed. Since then the car has had few hiccups, mainly just minor things that are probably to be expected with a car of its age. Now a few years on I am guessing that the car itself has close to 300,000kms with the engine approx 200,000kms. For the last 6 months there has been a real drop in performance.

* Seems to lag power, it seems to stutter particularly doing lower speeds sometimes feeling like it is almost going to stop but when the foot is put down and you get over say 60kms it appears to subside somewhat. I would say this happens 8/10 times when driving it.

*Sometimes when the car is idling in park it sounds as the engine is revving hire than usual.

*Occasionally it really kicks into gear. By that I mean putting it from drive into reverse sometimes the car has pretty nasty kick.

I have had it checked out several times by two different mechanics and unfortunately it never seems to play up when they have it. I was wondering if anyone could give me any idea as to what the issue/s might be.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

adept

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Executive & 99 VT XU8
^^ spot on, do a fault code check - post the results and go from there.

(jebus, everyone seems to be replying to the threads before i can tonight..)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd be looking for a vacuum leak to the throttle body which can cause erratic idle (high revs will make transmission thump), also the throttle body may need cleaning. Check plugs, leads and coils. How long since these have been replaced?....also fuel filter.

poxpox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series 1
Thanks guys. I will check out the error codes on the weekend.

hako

I'd be looking for a vacuum leak to the throttle body which can cause erratic idle (high revs will make transmission thump), also the throttle body may need cleaning. Check plugs, leads and coils. How long since these have been replaced?....also fuel filter.

Thanks hako, I will look into that. The plugs, leads and coils have been replaced in the last 12-18 months. I initially suspected the fuel filter but I have been advised that there is not an issue with it.

While I am here, my dash lights just stopped working. The indicators etc still work but the light that lights the dash background up aren't working. I have consulted an auto-electrician and they said it would cost upwards of $1k to fix. Is there alternative way to do it myself?

Thanks

wardie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
Pull the cluster out. Surround is a few screws and a couple of clips. The cluster is 4 screws (I think). Bulbs can be sourced from Supercheap or Autobarn for a couple of bucks.

darcycammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did have VS Berlina now have VT Berlina
i am having the same problem rev's to high jump's when you put it into Drive or Reverse mine has done 272.*** k's
i was looking at taking the hole throttle body off and giving it a good clean would i need to buy a new gasket if so how much ? as i brought my car about this time last year i haven't changed the spark plug's & lead's as mine is dual fuel what spark plugs would be the best to get and how much would they be ? thanks Darcy

poxpox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series 1
Ok guys, finally had time to check the fault codes, got 19, 21 and 22

19 - Throttle Position Sensor - Sticking Open
21. Throttle Position Sensor - Voltage High
22. Throttle Position Sensor - Voltage Low

Where do I go from here? I do have the gregory's book but there isn't really any diagram showing me exactly where in the engine they are.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Well that's an easy one, replace you're TPS. Take the throttle body off, give it a good clean out 2 hex screws, probably take you 10 mins max.

poxpox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series 1
Cheers mate. Glad its nothing too difficult.

Alhdo, Aas prrviously mentioned my dash lights are dead. I was just wondering is it unusual that all bulbs died at once or is there a more serious problem?