Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1996 VS 3.8ltr auto commodore not starting

Gaskell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equipe
Read through a heap of similar posts but nothing seems to help...

Had an issue a while back with it not starting... found it was the battery in the key. Replaced it and all worked fine.

Next issue was not starting at all. It would turn over but just not fire. Then after a couple of mins I just got fast clicks from the starter. Turned out it was worn out so got it reconditioned.

Next issue was not even attempting to start. Nothing at all like there was no battery in it. Trans issue. Changed between N and P heaps and away it went.

Now I ran the battery dry and killed it. Didn't think to check it the water. So a new battery in and its not starting. Lights work, stereo works, everything has power. Turn key and red blinking light (immobiliser circuit???) turns off and you hear the fuel pump kick in, uurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp... turn the key to start..... nothing. No sounds at all. Checked error code.. 12, 12, 12. What else can I do?

Any ideas/help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Code 12 = System Pass... I would be looking at checking the ECU or BCM... Just having a rough guess here. Someone correct me If I'm wrong :)

Bitemylip

Reaction score
my old VS used to have all electrics working, but wouldn't start, if ever the battery terminals were dirty or loose ... just a thought.

Gaskell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equipe
brand new battery (bought today) new terminals too

Gaskell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equipe
Oh yea, had that done as well. That was another time when the car wouldn't start.

Found out what the prob was... had a mate with father in-law who is an ex-mechanic. Funny the things you find out if you complain to enough people :p
Turns out the ignition is worn so you need to jiggle the key and the starter motor had lost a screw (or the last place I took it to who reconditioned it forgot it) and the solenoid (???) was loose so it wasn't engaging. (this coming from a techy minded person typing here not mechanicly minded :D).

Thanks for the help anyway guys, a little advice no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, can still go a long way.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Ahhh good on ya mate. Yeah when you go to start your car, your solenoid has a backwards and forward sliding movement. There are 2 copper plates on the back of the solenoid. These are contact plates to send a signal to the starter motor. If the Solenoid isn't getting any contact to one or both of these plates then there will be no signal sent to the starter motor :)

Gaskell

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS equipe
well it was where it was bolted onto the starter. with 1 screw missing and 2 loose it wasn't straight so it was trying to do its job but just couldn't. Seems like when ever something goes wrong its always with starting it.. just my luck with cars.
I'll never be reduced to owning a ford tho :p :D

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hahaha good on ya mate. Don't turn to the dark side. The cookies are better here :D